Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wanting to buy new amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Feb 17, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i play hc/metal/punk.

i have an svt 3 pro and an ampeg 610hlf

i want more watts. i have about $1,000.00 to spend.

people have been telling to look into the following amps.

mesa big block 750
    ampeg svt-cl
    ampeg svt2 and 4 pro
    gk 1001rb
    gk 2001rb
    mesa 400+

now if i buy an all tube head, i need to buy a shock mount case. which is extra money.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Add this to your list to look at:

Kustom Groove Bass 1200 (yes 1200 watts)

It's fairly new and more or less unknown. A lot of head for 500ish dollars.

Link--> Click Me

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Why do you need a shock mount case? Every bassist I've ever seen playing with an SVT has it sitting atop his cab... this may not be the best idea in the history of mankind but if they went through tubes every couple months no one would do it would they? I never had any issues with my tube amps from doing this, and I like you can't afford a shock rack right now but simply carrying my 400+ makes me think awfully hard about buying one....

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if it is a tube amp, i would want a shock mount for the simpe reason that my band plays a lto of out of state shows. everything goes in out trailer and bangs around.

people in touring bands that i know, all of them have shock mount cases for there tubed heads. not having any case to me is just silly. i have a non shock mount road ready 8 case right now. if i bought a rack mount, tube amp(like the 400+ of the svt 2 pro) i would want to get one so i wouldnt have tube issues.

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That makes a lot more sense to me now, I handle my own heads and obviously very cautious with them... a shock case would be a good investment for you.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah if i didnt have a rackmount now my head would be destroyed. ie why i want a shock mount. driving through nyc with a trailer is very abusive. hahaha

7. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    If you go used, you could pick up a 2Pro or 400+ and a shock mount rack for around $1000. And you'd never be sorry tonewise...

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah but see i wanna buy it at guitar center first and try it for a month to see if i liked it.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I didnt realize you were in a hardcore band till I checked out your band's site.... I checked out some of your songs on HXC. You've kinda got the Bane/With Honor sound.... hardcore with sort of a punk underbelly. I like that

Ok... so now I know that there's another aspect of your band that you have to compete with besides instruments, and that's the screaming of your frontman and whoever else does background.

I think you need to go all-out with something, dude. Its very seldom that I see a hardcore band with a 3-pro.... and when I do, the stage is usually lined with an 810. Personally, I think the 3-Pro sounds better than the 4-Pro, but the 4-Pro and the CL are practically FIXTURES amongst the mainstream hardcore scene, from the shows I've been too.

Personally, I like the sound that Every Time I Die gets. I've seen them 5 times. Their bassist usually has a 4-pro with a BDDI. Usually he's overdriven though, and it sounds like that might not be for you. Althought experimenting is fun

I still like the RMX850 for your rig. Yes its VERY friggon heavey. 38lbs or so. But like you said, you could slice out the 3pro if that was a problem. But.... I really think you need to go a step beyond a BigBlock head.

But I think the CL and an 810 would suit you perfectly too. It just might be too much money. But then again.... I see pictures here from Hellfest and The Continental. BIG, LOUD shows....

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    A newer trend I've noticed among many hardcore bands is the use of a Sansamp BDDI, GK head, and Ampeg cabinet. A Mesa 400 would be a great choice.There are limitless options. Its just about playing around and finding what you like best. Try as many of them as you can, and read anything available about them.

~Patrick

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've seen quite a few GK head/Ampeg cab setups in the past year or so, actually.

For more power, Might I suggest a poweramp/preamp setup? If you're worried about tubes, there are some preamps out there (Peavey Max) that get the tube thing done, and well, without having to deal with the TLC of tubes.

12. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I highly recommend a Genz Benz GBE600. And then save the rest of your $1000 for a rainy day. :)

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that is a very cool head but you might want to try it against your ampeg with your cabinet to see if the increase in volume is enough. i'm not sure about the price or wattage of the GB 1200 but thatmight be worth looking into. As has been mentioned, a pre/power setup might give you a lot of bang for the buck. One of the cheaper heavier QSC amps like the 1400 and a cheaper preamp like a sans amp RBI would be a cool setup, although it might be slightly over budget. In any event, it'll be louder than any head you could get for that price. However, if you save your pennies, the aguilar 750 is a fantastic head and is LOUD.

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    The GBE1200 is considerably over 1200 watts and we rate our watts more conservatively than the competition. We use reactive loads and also burst power. The GBE1200 is on our site now for further info and explanations to our wattage ratings.

Kindest Regards,
    Roger Hart
    www.genzbenz.com

15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Glad to see GB represented here on Talkbass! And thanks for adding the 1200 to the site! I've been waiting for it...

As far as the GBE600, I think it's got plenty of power compared to the Ampeg. Ampeg exaggerates their ratings, while GB is conservative with theirs.

Jake

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm using a Genz head, and to be honest, I don't think it would really be the tone he's looking for. Hardcore bass tone is usually very colored and growly with a good clank. I don't see the Genz being the best for that style.

~Patrick

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nice. i finally got to try GB at one of my favorite stores (milford music studio, milford, CT), and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality, sound, and price. i've only seen amps up to the 600 so far, but the 1200 looks like a killer amp. kudos to you for offering mono amps that are 2 ohms stable!

as far as the sound goes for hardcore, i see where you're coming from xcental34x, but a little eqing (like goosing the high mids perhaps, and staying away from a smiley face eq, might help. Also, can the tube side of the pre be turned up into overdriving? :D

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    thanks for the kudos IvanMike. Yes, you can dial in the tube preamp for gain. I use the the SS and tube preamp together- the ss side gives a very immediate repsonse for slap and the tube ads some growl and warmth.

I live in Connecticut too. Just bought a bass from GGuitars a couple of months ago....first time down there. Beautiful store!