Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to Change to a 'Bucker for the Fretless J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yes, I know there's a thread on this same page about fretless j pickups, but I think my question may differ.

I have a passive Cort Action V. The pickups sound really thin. I like to favor the bridge pickup. I really want to drop in some humbuckers (to complement my active 6 string.) I'm wondering though, could this sound thin due to my EQ'ing? I don't change the EQ when plugging in the passive 5 vs. the active 6.

So anyways, would it be a good idea to just totally overhaul my bass by bringing it to a guy to dremel out space for a humbucker (soapbar or MM?) and keep the J in the neck and have him make it Stacked Treble/Bass, Pickup Selector, and Master Volume, or would it be better to just drop in a stacked humbucker?

Sorry if you can't read my rambling.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think your main issue is the transition between the active and passive basses. Are you using separate inputs for each bass (most amps have an active and a passive input). Otherwise, you're losing a lot of boost volume and tone wise by switching between the two. Also, J p'ups are known for a mid rangey sound than a low end sound.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm actually just using the same exact pedalboard and cables and everything. I have a 0db input and a -15db.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I see. You've got the active through the -15db input, and the passive through the 0db input. My question then would be what type of pickups does your 6'er have? Are they soapbar humbuckers?

Plus, if you want to put a humbucker in for your J p'up, there are STACKED humbuckers that would fit perfectly into the J position without routing. I don't remember who makes them, though. I think it was Dimarzio.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Actually, i'm only plugged into the 0db input. I don't change when I plug in my fretless.

The 6'er has Mighty Mite Soapbars.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. What that cure my problem do you think? And I think EMG makes some too.