Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to condense !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cannon, Oct 28, 2005.

1. :help: I've been reading a lot of posts on the trend of going lightweight. I'm still searching for the answer to this:

I'm transitioning from a loud stage rig to a portable practice/small club rig for jazz and acoustic stuff (Fretless/fretted & fingerstyle/slap). I'm used to playing through a SWR Goliath II and Goliath III stack. I want to find a small cabinet that will have the same tone (as much as possible) as the Goliath II without the weight. My target is to reduce the weight by 1/2, so 45lbs max and less preferred.

I'm still using an SM-900 for now. I'll need to condense the amp down at a later date.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Welcome to the world of common sense. Big rigs are not necessary. I went from an SWR Bass750 with 2X10 and 4X10 cabs to (eventually) an Eden WT-550 and Bergantino HT112 cab. It has always been enough for stand alone gigs, and the Eden DI is a great feed to the PA when needed. I can almost make it in one trip.

If you like your SWR stuff, go with a Goliath Jr. 2X10.

3. I used a GIII/900 rig for a couple of years when I was doing a lot of club gigs playing with an 'old school' type funk band. That's a great rig for that kind of sound.

I find the Schroeder 1210 with the more aggressive tweeter option to cop that sound quite nicely.... a little more punchy in the lower mids, but that's not such a bad thing. The box is very small and relatively light (47 pounds). There are other TBer's that are using Jorg's cabs with SWR heads with good result. I use a Thunderfunk550 with the switch option with mine.... with the switch set in the 'off' position, the TF can get the SWR sizzle pretty nicely.... 15 pounds and ultra reliable. The 1212 with the more aggressive tweeter might get you even closer.... from what I understand more bottom and a little less lower mid definition. Same price and weight.

I'm sure there are other good options, but this worked well for me, and I don't miss the GIII/900 at all.

4. Did I feel silly at this last show I played. The violinist had a tiny Trace Elliot acoustic amp and the acoustic guitarist had an AER cube. There I was w/ the G III looking ready to assault the masses.

Here in C-ville not a lot of testing options. How much tone difference will there be going to a 1x10 or 2x10? I had an Eden XLT 2x10 but didn't like the xtra midrange it had. I really didn't know if that was becoz it's Eden or the nature of a 2x10.

I see a lot of buzz on 12" speakers. Do they color the sound a certain way?

5. The EdenXLT line is very mid-heavy... so that's more an EdenXLT thing than a 210 thing. The EdenXST line is more similar to the Goliath sound... although the Eden cabs are very heavy.

IMO a 1-10 cab is really more of a practice sort of thing. Given the very small volume of those little boxes, even two of them stacked won't give you the low end extension of a good 210 cab.

There are lot's of different 1'12 cabs out there that a great.... from the Epifani112UL.. which is the lightest of the bunch.... the Berg112 (which is prefered by DB players, from what I've read on this site), to the Aguilar112, which has lot's of bottom but is quite scooped sounding.

The Schroeder1210 is kind of a magic box, because you get that low end extension of the 12, but somehow the angled 10 still makes it sound very punchy like a 210 or 410. It's MUCH louder than any 210 cab I've ever heard. Very nice.... but lot's of nice, small, lightweight stuff out there now.