Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to downsize,but not compromise sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by str8bass69, Jan 11, 2005.

1. I currently have a Trace Elliot 410 top@ 4 0hms and a Trace 215 bottom @ 4ohms through a GPX 12 pre-amp.Powered by my favorite peice,a Crown Powertech 3.Plenty of power,and sounds great,but it's time to move on.I've been giggin with it for about 6 years or so and it's been good to me.I've always played a Soundgear 590 4-string through it,but that's changing too.If it makes a difference in my amp choice,I've ordered an American Lakland 55-94 deluxe 5-string.
    My favorite soo far is the 1000W David Eden 410sxt with the Navigator 100 pre-amp.I would like to keep my Crown to power it,if it's enough?
    Is that a good choice?I could always add a bassbin for the outdoor summer shows...........Does any body think this is a good downsize move?Or do you have any other ideas?

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    410 AND a 215??!! That's huge! How 'bout getting a 410, 212, 310, 115, etc.... I've never had a problem with using just a 410, even with two Mesa's and a Starclassic drumkit. I just heard a guy using a SWR 4x8 in a rock band the other day, cut thru 2 guitars just fine with lots of low end.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmm you must play loud

i gig with a guy who uses 100 watt plexi super leads. i use a bag end 1x15 and 1x12 with a stewart 2.1 poweramp. that gives me 400 into each cab run stereo or 1050 into each run bridge mono into 4 ohms. I'm loud enough with just that rig. The powertechs can only bridge into 8 ohms so if you wanted to just use a 410 get an 8 ohm one.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I am also thinking of downsizing, and I have currently two ways I look at :

a pair of EBS NEO 112

or

no amp (DI on the board).

Hope this helps,
    JL