Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to gain weight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by big daddy cool, Feb 9, 2003.

1. I'm starting rugby very very shortly and basically I'm needing to gain as much muscle mass as possable in the shortest possible space of time.

I'm going to the gym between 3-5 times a week but i dont really know what im doing when it comes to gaining mass. I'm currently just working my whole body and lifting the most a possibly can as much as i can. If anyone could reccomend anything different that'd be good.

I'm on Creatine and Protein suppliments just now but i dont know when to take them for maximum.... whats the word.... maximum.... productivity?
    I know how much to take obviously cause it says on the side of the tub, but itdoesnt say when i should be taking it.

If anyone knows anything else i should be doing to add more weight that'd also be great. cheers.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The standard short and easy advice to build muscle mass quickly is to do high weights with low reps. More specifically, sets of 6 to 8 reps rather than lighter weights with sets of 12 to 15 or even 20 reps. Some even"pyramid", increasing the weight each set, but reducing the reps. watch your speed. Make sure you aren't lifting on momentum.

Also you want to work the largest muscles of the body such as the chest, back, glutes, thighs and hamstrings. We're not talking about wrist curls here. Some folks forget about muscular balance and train their chests and biceps, but neglect their thighs and calves. I see guys at the gym all the time who have developed mass in their torso and upper arms, but their legs are still relatively undeveloped. You need leg strength for rugby. You also need leg speed. Don't sacrifice your cardio training for just weight workouts.

You've got to be careful about too intensive an effort to build mass fast. Don't train the same body parts two days in a row. You will run a serious risk of injury or overtraining. Also that sets up a catabolic process in which your muscles actually descrease in strength.

Keep this in mind, too. Some men don't build a lot of mass, no matter how hard they try. That doesn't mean they are not strong. I am always amazed at the weights some of the leanest men in the gym can handle. So I would advise you to go for strength, not necessarily mass.

Be sure to stretch after each machine. There is a stretch for every weight move. Oh, for fastest results I'd recommend bench presses, squats, lunges, leg presses, cable rows, calf raises, deadlifts, biceps curls, triceps kickbacks or extensions, military presses.

I don't know how much time you have to train, but you can increase your strength noticeably in just one month. Here's a plan:

Day 1: Chest and triceps, abs
    Day 2: Back and biceps, abs
    Day 3: Legs and shoulders, abs

Don't go more than two days in a row without training. Leg workouts are the toughest, as the muscles are the biggest. You might want to rest after a "legs" day.

3. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    I agree with the entirety of Boplicity's post. Great reply.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Seriously...thats good stuff boplicity.

The only thing I can add, and I add this lightly cause its been a while since I've been seriously working out. Is relating to Protein supps. Generally take them 3 times a day, once before you work out. I've heard that too much protein is very bad for you, but I've also heard that no matter how much you take, you just have to work a lot harder with/for it....can you clear that up for my boplicity?

5. Thanks people. Yeah, you dont know anything about taking the Creatine and Protein do you Bop.?

6. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    How long have you been using the protein? I have never needed the stuff personally, but I have friends who have gone that route. I seem to recall that they all experienced weight gain rather rapidly. It also disappeared as soon as they stopped supplementing their diets.

7. I've only had the creating and protein for about 3 weeks, but have had to stop for about the last 10 days because ive had the flu and couldnt go to the gym. I've not noticed any weight changes not surprisingly.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hey big daddy cool, how long till you start rugby?

9. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    With the 10 day layoff, you probably didn't start gaining traction with the protein, etc., before you had to stop.

10. Well... I'm starting rugby in the development squads in about 3 weeks time anI'll be doing it for about another 6 weeks after that till the end of the season. I'm starting properly in about mid September though, so it's then that I'm needing to become big for.

I'll be playing second row so I'll need a lot more extra weight than what I have just now for the rucks and scrums. The only benefit to me being quite light just now is in the lineouts... I can get thrown into the air no problem at all. The extra weight is essential though.

11. To gain weight you have to eat a lot. No matter how hard you train, if you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. Some general guidelines:

Stick to the basics: Squats, deadlifts, military press, dips, chins, that sort of thing. Heavy, multijoint exercizes should be the core of your program.
    Do some isolation exercizes for injury prevention: crunches, back extensions, side bends, rotator cuff and neck work.
    Don't train more than 3 days a week, or each muscle more than once a week. You need days to rest and grow. I only go twice a week.
    Supplements are just that, they supplement your diet. Make sure you're eating enough and eating properly. A multivitamin is a more important supplement than creatine. I take my creatine in 5g doses after my workouts.
    If you're serious, some good books to get are Beyond Brawn and The Insider's Tell All Handbook on Weight Training Technique, both by Stuart McRobert. I had to order mine through the mail from Cyprus, but they're worth it. They're available at http://www.hardgainer.com

I can post my own routine for you if you want, but most importantly, just eat more.

12. What sort of things would you reccomend I eat and in what quantities?

13. Milk, eggs, tuna, chicken, steak, pasta, oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, natural peanut butter, oils, whole wheat bread, and in large quantities.

Your bodyweight in pounds x 15 = about how many calories you should eat per day, more if you play a lot of sports and have a high metabolism.

Of that, you should have 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. That should be more than enough to gain for most people, although some sources will tell you more than that.

A good caloric breakdown would be 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat.

Also, with all this extra food, make sure you drink enough water. 3-4L is good, and if you drink it with meals, it isn't that much.

14. Thanks very much to everyone. Hopefully this will all go well. Any idea as to how much i might expect to gain after a few weeks if i stick solidly to whats been posted above?

If you have any other tips please just post away. Thanks everyone.

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Regarding a high protien diet, theres not much better than insects (crickets) and grubs such as maggots. Seriously, go look under some rocks in your garden and chow down :D