Wanting to learn DB for jazz band.

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by orskard, Oct 26, 2004.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004

lets get this out there.

i know i need lessons.

Ive played electric since '99 and last year, i was in jazz band i played electric and this other guy played acoustic. This year, he isnt there. i showed up to practice today with my electric and these 2 girls showed up with there acoustics. im in high school by the way. you couldnt hear them because they didnt have a pickup. the director knows what i can do so thats a plus for me. just before practice ended he asked the girls if they played electric too, trying to find someone who can do both, they both said no, but one girl has one but cant play it. hahaha. i then told him again how i wanted to learn acoustic and he said i should.

i know because its a high school i could rent a bass from the school for pretty cheap probally. i could take lessons at the school with a private teacher.

he sees i have intent to play DB so thats good. i was in it last year so he knows i can do it and what im like.

adding the DB to my skills could only help me in jazz band. i would LOVEEEE to be the only bass player. its a lot of responsiblity but i would love it.

do you have any advice for me? things to ask him? im really pretty new to this all expect a year or less of cello in 5th grade (11th now).

when i said i wanted to try Double, he said i need lessons. the band then said how its Eric and he doesnt. then i told him how i taught myself the electric and he said how he hates me lol...

any info would be great!

i hope i make it, Double or not!
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Don't ask me, I'm with the girls :)
  3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Judging from those remarks, You only seem interested in boosting your own ego rather than being a musician. Why don't you ask the girls to show you some stuff on the DB IN ADDITION to a teacher?...
  4. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    get the thing and start playing it basically!!! Yes get a teacher, if anything get a classical teacher who will be big on bowing and intonation and then you'll be a fully versatile bassist.

Lose the ego if there is one, you'll get a lot more work!!l

As for teachers, anyone know of one in NE England, Newcastle?

5. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i dont see why you few posters think i have an ego problem. if its because of the how i want to be the only one, its because ive taught my self this and it would be a great accomplishment. jazz bands have one bass player, usually, and when ive been in a jazz band there has always been another one. me wanting to be the only one doesnt mean im on a power trip it just means that it i can set myself to something and become good to the point where i am principal.

Ill talk to my director tomorrow about renting a bass from the school, to keep at my house and practice with. I think the poster is right who said i should just get my hands on it.

thank you.
  6. It is really all about who wants it more. I understand the feeling of seeking principality, but don't worry about it. Focus your zeal on upright lessons, you'll soon discover that you will be a fish out of water without them. There are many other threads on this part of the board on this topic. All of them say to get a teacher.
  7. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I will echo what has been said. Find a good teacher, preferrably one that has a strong classical foundation and study. As far as Jazz Band goes, I realize you want to be top dog there and that's understandable but try to focus on the big picture. Work on improving your overall versitility as a musician. Do as much listening to great music of all kinds whether its pop, rock, classical, jazz, rap, whatever. The public library could be a great resource for your development as a musician. Get a card and check out their music catalogue.

Just my $.02.