Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to sell my Brice HXB-406

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Jan 16, 2006.

1. I'm wanting to sell my HXB-406 and had some interesting offers around town. I went to several music shops and no one had any interest (most didn't know anything about them) and the offers were pretty meager. Do you suppose it is because they are initially so cheap online?

One funny story. For the "heck of it", I took it by a "pawn shop" (not really a pawn shop, but similar) and the guy says, well this thing isn't worth anything, . . . the most I could give you is $10." . . . . . . . :spit:

Anyway, I don't really NEED to sell it, but I'm going to go ahead and do a Warmoth 6 string and don't need to have two 6 strings, especially when one would basically never get played.

Any suggetions?

2. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Sell it on ebay?:bassist:

3. Put it in classifieds here on TB if you are a supporting member. There's also bassgear.com, and a yahoo group for SX/Agile/Brice owners. I put my HXB406 on evilbay back in the spring - turned out someone local bought it! Good luck!

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Definitely use the TB classifieds ..... well worth it to become a supporting member and then use the classifieds .... I've made some great deals here (buying/selling/trading) and I sure trust the TB'ers 1000% more than the nasty 'bay ..... :cool:

5. Well, at the moment, I can't make any necessary "payments" . . . or my wife will skin my hide. You know, property tax and house insurance.

How much does it take to be a supporting member, for when I am *cough* allowed to spend money again?

6. By the way, how to I get to this yahoo group for SX/Agile/Brice owners?

7. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    $20 is a year's membership.
    I just bought in myself. heh.

He really offered you $10 for a 6 string Brice? whack.
    I'll pay you DOUBLE that. :D

8. the resale on "Rondo" imports is pretty low. after you get your new bass, give the Brice to a local kid, that shows some interest, in playing. i have given away 2, and both kids are still playing. plant the seed of music, and watch it grow.
    :cool:

9. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    +1. That's what I intend to do with my fretless SX once I get a better fretless in the next year or so. :ninja:

10. Well, one of the music stores offered $125 for it. Perhaps I should take him up on it. :meh:

11. That's a music store...he's gonna make a 100% profit on it. Post it...it'll be worth the $20 membership here. (Hey - that's less than a buck a day - give up soda for a month :p ) - Sorry, used to sell cars....can you tell?

12. I had one for a couple of days(liked it but I'm spoiled by my Stambaugh:rolleyes: )- traded a TBer a g****r for it, then traded another TBer for a different bass. Keep it in the(TB)family!

13. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    rondo resale value low? are you kidding?

you buy a MIM fender for 450 -sell it used for 300 (in great condition). that's 2/3 of selling price, right?

you buy a 100 dollar rondo- sell it for 100 shipped (assuming 25 bucks or so for shipping). that's 75% of original cost.

there was a fretless j5 in the emporium that sold for 120 plus shipping- they sell originally for what, 130?

just because the dollar value you sell for is low doesn't mean they don't hold their value... in almost every case (SX/Douglas/Agile) that i've seen, rondo's guitars/basses hold their value (percentage) BETTER than most anything else on the market.

14. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I consigned mine in my local store and broke even. Evidently the buyer doesn't have internet access.

Glenn D.

15. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    It isn't just the percentage, it's the actual loss - you're only risking $30-$50 most of the time with an SX.

Glenn D.

16. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

actualy Matt is right.. when you are talking about depreciation it is all percentages. For example.. a BMW M series depreciates probably $6k just by driving it off the lot.. if a Kia depreciated $6k just from driving it off the light a used Kia would be $2,000 with only 5 miles on it.

SX's do hold their value very well. You can buy an SX for $89 and sell it easily for the same amount.. especially on the 'bay.

and even if percentages DIDN'T factor into it.. and you lost $50 on an SX.. you still lost $100+ on a fender.

17. Its a curious thing about rondo....

some of their models sell out very quick (like for instance,Agile 7 string bartione metal guitar, or some paticular SX jazz bass clone) and sometimes never come back in stock in the exact same configuration - thus its a sort of limited edition thing, and I wonder if in years to come some of these models will be quite sought after. Cheap, good or quality AND collectable in many cases. Its an interesting business model.

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Being the recipient of the aforementioned HXB406 from bassteban, I have to admit that it has a reasonably high level of quality for the price. I have two custom made basses that are my main players, but this will be my 2nd Brice (I've also owned a Prestige Z6 neck-through) and they definitely have a purpose.

Some of my rehearsal locations are less than ideal, one place being a pretty funky basement with some questionable humidity issues ..... I don't like taking a $2500+ instrument into that hole. But, I also have to have a bass that is playable, and the Brice fits that bill perfectly. This HXB has very low action, intonation is excellent along the whole neck, fretwork is basically perfect and the electronics (while a bit noisy) do the job just fine.

Really amazing that they can sell an instrument like this for such low $$ ...... :cool:

19. Ed is absolutely correct!

I'll be selling two of my basses, yet I can't think of parting with my Brice only because I really don't feel like taking a quality instrument into a bar where it's going to gather cigarette smoke for at least six hours. Plug and play concerts and studios - that's different. And you always need a good backup. Perhaps just tuck it away for just such an occasion.