Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to swap my RBI for a BBE Bmax

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jun 6, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey everyone, i have used my RBI for a few months now and i really am not liking the raw edgy tone i get out of it. I know someone will tell me to lower the drive knob, but if i lower that then the volume goes down and it isnt that loud, since it is like a gain. When i got my pre i was looking at the RBI and the BMAX like lots of people who are in my price range did, and i think i should have went with the bmax because people told me it gives a better clean bass sound. Would the bbe be the better buy since im not really all that happy with my RBI?

2. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    I have the BBE Bmax and it is great. Clean, quiet, deep bass, sonic maximizer, compressor, .... I've also used the SABDDI and the bmax is just cleaner and it responds to your playing really well.....DAN

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    BMAX-T looks like a knockoff of an F1-X, only it has a one band semiparametric EQ, which is exactly what the F1-X lacks. Go for it!

4. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    yaeh, i want to try to get it, but i need to find one first, for around 200 or so.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I own a BBE Bmax and a Sansamp BDDI. What I like about the Bmax:
    Very clean
    very quick response
    great features
    great construction

What I don't like:
    To my ears this is not the warmest device ever created.

The combinations of the Bmax's quick response and ultra-clean tone with the BDDI's tube-like warmth is an unbelievable combination. From that core tone I dial in drive to taste.

I just can't get enough warmth out of the Bmax without the BDDI for my taste.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Do you already have Level cranked? If not, boosting Level will compensate for reducing Drive.

If you've got Level cranked, then you might want to check to see if you have an input or output pad engaged.

I haven't noticed weak output with the RBI, but then I've never run mine with Drive all the way off.