Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to switch to Better Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by C-5KO, Jun 15, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Right now, I'm using D'addario XLs, medium Gauge.

While these strings are okay, I'm looking for something with more mids and low mids.

I recently bought a new 5 string bass that I think were string with Zon nickels, and these sound amazing. However, I've read that the Zon's don't last as long as other strings.

I've read through the post of Hi-Beams vs Lo-Beams. And am now considering switching to either Fat beams, or Sun beams.

I'm guessing I should stick with nickel, and preferably medium gauge (I don't really like the floppy string feel). My bass is 35" scale.

Any recommendations besides fats or sunbeams?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you want mids, try Thomastik Infeld strings. They're just about all mids. I had a set of Jazz Flats that had so many mids I had to get rid of them. Reports about their roundwounds that I've heard say the same thing about the mids.

3. In my experience Sunbeams has mids but not too much bottom. Fat-beams has a little more bottom and the mids are good. Lo-Riders have more bass and punch but sound a little scooped. Blue Steels have the perfects mix of bass, punch, detailed mids and airy highs. To my ears Ernie Ball Slinkies has good bass and warm mids, but sound a little 2-dimensional for lack of a better word.

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I just checked their website. Looks like they have a 6 string set for 34" scale but not 35". :crying:

I think I'll have to try and get Fatbeams, or the Zon 6 string set. The Zons seems so expensive though.

Just wondering if anybody knows if the DR Fatbeams have the material wrapped at the ends?

5. Fat-beams have no silk wrapping at either end, if that's what you mean.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Try the Sadowsky nickels. You can look at the bar charts of different strings' low/mid/high output in the Bass Player string review. I found that part of the review fairly accurate.

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I checked their site. Couldn't find a six string set. Do they make one? I also read something funny about the Sadowskys ends? For some reason they don't fit normally in a bridge? My other concern with Sadowsky's is the scale length.

I'll try checking out the Bass Player review - however, I believe it was Ken Smith, saying how the review wasn't very accurate. There were some strings that were identical (but different brand names), and how the review came up different for the same strings.

Tried a google search, couldn't find it. Do you know the link for the string guide?

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I love Rotosounds. Lots of different types in different gauges. They'll tear your fingers up though. But if you don't use DR, I suggest Rotosound.

9. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    C-5KO, Here is the link.

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp...&storycode=4037

I only play 4 so I don't know who makes 6 sets, sorry. Of course everybody's experience will be different, but I've tried many nickel rounds and flat sets over the last few years. In my opinion, the verbiage in the article can be misleading because one term can mean something to you and something different to someone else. But I think the bar charts showing the low/mid/high character is pretty close. At least it is based on my experience. I like strings with some resistance, full mids and not harsh feeling. The Sads are pretty balanced tonewise, and I can coax plenty of mids out of them with my EQ. I have never had a problem with the ball ends not fitting...they seem just like every other ball end to me. The DR nickels I used for so long aren't as rich in the mids, and might be better slappers which I don't do.

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Yes. I find the DRs are a bit mellow. But they're still pretty good. I just ordered some Fatbeams from my local store ($49 Can with friendly discount + tax), which isn't too bad. It seems our taste in strings is pretty similar. Do Sadowsky's have the silk windings? For some reason, I don't really like the silk on the ends.

Tried that bassplayer link. It seems to be dead.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    If they're set for 34" through-body, but one was using 35" through-bridge, then I'd imagine they'd work, right?

Joe

12. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    If the link is dead, go to the Bass Player Mag website and search for Wind Tasting. It will come up with the article. You know, I don't recall if the Sadowsky's have silk on the ball ends...I know they have gray silk on the tuner ends. I guess you could always cut the silk off with a razor blade.

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Beauty! Thanks Luckydog. I owe you a cookie treat! ;)