Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to Trade My Smith BSR6

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ElMon, Mar 8, 2006.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Recently got this off of Boogiebass and after experience on 4 different Smiths (all neck-thru), this is by far the best I've ever had the pleasure to own. Personally, I credit it to the oil finish on the instrument, which seems to allow the tone to breath more so than Ken's laquered creations (I've owned two of those).

The biggest selling point of this bass is its playability. The action is super low and the ebony fretboard imparts a very fast feel. Lightning quick passages are much easier on this bass than they were on the MTD's I owned, possibly due to the 34" scale. The B string is taut and speaks with authority, albeit a slightly more blended sound than, for instance, the B strings on MTD's or on Roscoe basses.

Now, here's why I want to get rid of this wonderful instrument.......

For years now I've been trading basses in search of "The One", and so far I've accumulated quite a list such as Smith, Sadowsky, Modulus, Warwick, Fender, MTD, Roscoe. Having owned multiple basses in each category, I can truly say that every piece of wood is different than the next. The previous Smith 5er I owned was a turd compared to this one, and I've played MTD's that just blew me away with their tone, only to play a local guy's 6 that did nothing for me. There truly is some alchemy involved in wood choice. The only reason I'm wanting to trade this bass off, is that I think that there might be an instrument out there that is more ME, insofar as it approximates the sound in my head. I jumped on this bass only because I've dreamed of a Smith 6 for some time, thinking it would be the ultimate. Well, unfortunately I was wrong. The Smith has a unique voice that at first is intoxicating, but for me did not allow for my personality as a player to come through. Maybe for you it will be the ultimate, but I need to move on....... Now, for business.

I'm not looking to sell this bass outright, and am instead looking for the right TRADE. That's right folks, trade only. I like swapping more than selling, especially when alot of my TB brethren are often short on cash, but never short on sweet high end basses. So here is a list of basses I would trade towards, and this list is exclusive. I don't need any more roscoes, or "A Mike Lull plus Cash!!!". If I can't find what I want here, maybe Evil Bay is the answer.

1) MTD 635 24fret only, and any wood combo will be
    considered, with particular interest in
    either an all wenge neck with ash body
    or an ash body with maple/rosewood
    (2) Sadowsky I'd trade in a heartbeat, and pay
    shipping both ways for anyone willing
    part with a P5 or a PJ5, but will also
    accept an ultra vintage Metro with a
    rosewood board, preferably in white
    with a tort guard

Accepting these options, I'm not really looking for anything else at the moment, but I appreciate anybody who got through this long-winded thread.:p

Here are some pics.....
    http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/ElMon/SMITH/ps/ALBUM/VIEWWEBSITE?foneblog=1141841912366

2. Bump for Elmon, who's a great guy !!!!!!!

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Good to hear from you bro! Love your Avatar by the way. That's the episode where at the very end, in the shot with the peppers at Moe's tavern, you can look carefully and see Michael Jackson, in king of pop garb, pressed up against the window looking at the guys in their short pants. Classic!!!
    I bet your dyin to trade of that P5 of yours.:bag:

4. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    PM sent

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    PM recieved. Trade pending on an MTD6 but will still take a Sadowsky Pbass 5er as a trade.

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump

7. Sorry man but thats a keeper, hang in there once you find the right bass its the best experience , I think I found mine, the thing is that it is not 1 bass they are 6 :p :bassist:

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Anyone else with a P or PJ5?:hyper: :hyper:

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump. Starting tommorrow, I'll be skiing in colorado until the 17th or so, so if you would like to chat, call me on my cell:
    405-410-2110. Other than that, I'll try to find an internet hub in the mountains. Cheers!!!!

10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump. Out of town until 17th. Peace!!!

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Sorry for the delay, just got back in town. Oh, and bump as well!!

12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thinking it over, I'll also accept an NYC Sadowsky Jstyle five as well, provided it has a rosewood board, and an MTD 535 in various wood combos.

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

bump

14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I forgot to mention that a Sadowsky Metro RV5 in olympic white with VTC +cash might be in order.

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump

16. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump

17. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Giggity.

18. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump

19. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump.

20. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    What's the string spacing at the bridge?