wanting to upgrade from a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SmartAlex, Mar 14, 2006.

1. SmartAlex

Mar 14, 2006
    ok , so i've been playing bass for about 2 years now, and im in a band and we're starting to play larger venues, and my combo isnt cutting it, especially since we have 2 guitarists now , and i barely even cut through the mix.

I'm really not looking for anything massive, just something that will be cost efficent and realistic, considering I'm somewhat strapped for cash, being only 16, so yeah, in my tone i perfer a bit of high end , and lots of mid range, so yeah, any suggestions would be appreciated.

and in case anybody's wondering , im upgrading from an ampeg ba-115, yeah i know , it's sad lol
  2. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Cost efficient and realistic are fairly vague terms. I'll assume that leaves my favorite Glockenklang out though, so I'd say see if you can pick up a good used SWR SM500 and Goliath (4x10). Somethin like that would work for most gigs unless you're playin huge arenas. I'm assuming you'd also have house support.
  3. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I wish I had a Ba-115 when I was 16...that's not a bad amp.

Anyways, your best bet is to get used. GK and Workingman (or if you can find a good deal on SWR) make really cost effective heads that have a lot of power and tone. A good 4x10 would be fine, and can be had for cheap used. Or if you can't find used, Avatar. All in all you should be able to get a nice full sized rig for between 600 and 800 dollars.
  4. i dont have much advice to give. but look at GK RB heads or ashdown.
  5. SmartAlex

Mar 14, 2006
    yeah the ba 115 is a good amp ,but its just not cutting through enough, and its just not loud enough, but i was think gk, and to be in the 600-800 range so yeah, i was just seeing if there would any other options
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Good used Peavey heads can be had cheap - and those Avatar 410s are looking pretty good - a decent rig like that could be had for $400-$500, give or take...

- georgestrings