1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wanting to upgrade my bass...ideas/opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morrisonmuzk, Jan 1, 2006.

1. morrisonmuzk

morrisonmuzk

Dec 31, 2005
    Hi to all and Happy New Year!!!

I recently have started playing bass again on a semi-regular basis for the first time in about 9 years and am looking to upgrade my current bass. I have a 1986 vintage 4 string Peavey Foundation (US made and I bought it new at that time). I am also using a Peavey Mark III Series/400B head and a Peavey 118D Cabinet with 18" speaker in it. While it's always been ok, I'm looking for something a bit better, especially with the bottom end of things...

I'm mainly playing music ranging from 60's-current music, but mainly Chicago, Tower of Power, Motown type stuff...

Locally, there isn't a lot of selection to try basses out and I'm not quite sure where to start...I've read many threads here on the website, but am a bit overwhelmed on what brand/model to even start with...I don't play slap bass, so that isn't a consideration for me.

I would like to move to at least a 5 string to have that bottom sound great, lower (if needed) & clear instead of muddy as I have it now...

A great used would be fine as it would let me stretch my dollars a bit more...money wise, I can stretch to probably $1200ish...I'd rather spend a bit more for a better instrument that will last...

Thanks in advance for ideas/advice!!!
    Morrisonmuzk

2. morrisonmuzk

morrisonmuzk

Dec 31, 2005
    Sorry I forgot this part, but I'm not necessarily in a hurry and can save my $$$ longer if needed...

thanks!!!
    Morrisonmuzk