Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to upgrade my bass...ideas/opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morrisonmuzk, Jan 1, 2006.

1. morrisonmuzk

morrisonmuzk

Dec 31, 2005
    Hi to all and Happy New Year!!!

I recently have started playing bass again on a semi-regular basis for the first time in about 9 years and am looking to upgrade my current bass. I have a 1986 vintage 4 string Peavey Foundation (US made and I bought it new at that time). I am also using a Peavey Mark III Series/400B head and a Peavey 118D Cabinet with 18" speaker in it. While it's always been ok, I'm looking for something a bit better, especially with the bottom end of things...

I'm mainly playing music ranging from 60's-current music, but mainly Chicago, Tower of Power, Motown type stuff...

Locally, there isn't a lot of selection to try basses out and I'm not quite sure where to start...I've read many threads here on the website, but am a bit overwhelmed on what brand/model to even start with...I don't play slap bass, so that isn't a consideration for me.

I would like to move to at least a 5 string to have that bottom sound great, lower (if needed) & clear instead of muddy as I have it now...

A great used would be fine as it would let me stretch my dollars a bit more...money wise, I can stretch to probably $1200ish...I'd rather spend a bit more for a better instrument that will last...

Thanks in advance for ideas/advice!!!
    Morrisonmuzk

2. morrisonmuzk

morrisonmuzk

Dec 31, 2005
    Sorry I forgot this part, but I'm not necessarily in a hurry and can save my $$$ longer if needed...

thanks!!!
    Morrisonmuzk