1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wanting v4b folded horn cab info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grooveman1961, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    Hi all

I'm hoping someone has info, pictures etc. I've scoured the net, but with out a lot of success. If I can't find one for sale, I'll build one. Anybody out there with dimensions, diagrams etc?

2. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Me too. I'd love to have one to go with my 8x10 and SVT and have started searching as well :)

3. That was the first cab I ever lusted after when I first started playing. They just kinda disappeared. Color me curious where this thread goes...

4. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    bassnw has one right now for $600. It looks sweet.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It can be beat handily by a modern 1x15 loaded with an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF and a midrange driver in a cab half the weight. It, and the similar Acoustic and Cerwin-Vega folded horns, made the best of the drivers available then, but modern driver technology has rendered 2x15 and 1x18 folded horns quite obsolete.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Had one. Made an Acoustic 360/361 look so shallow. Used one with a Sunn 2000s head on it. It didn't kick me like a 2000s cab would because it developed it's sound way out there like the 360/371 did. I wouldn't make one. Play one first. They are truly huge. I pulled off the tired rubber front feet and substituted a board 1x like the 361 had. I thought with the Altec 421As it had to better than the 361. It wasn't. Nowadays you need good stage sound with a FOH system or any good medium piece can equal it. I've had these babies and new technology is where it's at.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never was a fan of the folded horns. Seemed to be a lot of wasted size for not much return. I was glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that way.

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I had one too. I think it probably sounded great somewhere in the room, but not right in front of it... couldn't hear a thing. I'd be interested in how modern drivers sound in one if you go ahead w/your plans.

Now the V4 head, that's something else again. I still haul mine out once in a while for tubo-charge!

9. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I just want one because I want to run it with my vintage SVT/8x10 set up at outdoor gigs! Never by itself or anything, I just want to run my SVT at 2ohms and have the folded horns hit people in the chest. :)

bobyoung53 and carsbybigd like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Rock!

Well, one thing folded horns are good for is inducing heart attacks. Went to many a show in the 70's and 80's that nearly made me puke with low end.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The lack of midrange inherent to the design was why you couldn't hear them well up close, and modern drivers wouldn't affect that.

12. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yall havent looked real hard ... i have one on our classifieds . or maybe i deleted that post ....

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I believe it came from the factory with Altec speakers...I have photos somewhere of one that sold on eBay years ago (the eBay one had EVMs in it).

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here's all I can find and the images are small. And I was slightly mistaken about the speakers in this cabinet...the top one is an EV SRO15 (the EVM 15's papa).

15. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    In the '70s I used a V4b cab with a '71 SVT head. The V4b cab came with Altec Lansing 421h speakers. I later switched to JBL E145 speakers which I remember being a surprising improvement to my tone.
    I want to say that for that era, it was an amazing setup in terms of tone, volume and projection. Remember that back then in the venues I played, 90% of the time there was no PA support - PA was just for vocals. I was using a Gibson Ripper bass. I have always tried to recreate the "force" generated from that setup.
    I now use a Fitzmaurice DR250 and Tuba24 sub (both are folded horns). I love this combination. I have a homemade 200 watt tube (6550) power amp with an Ampeg SVP pre. I am really thrilled with this setup. It has way better fidelity than the V4b, of course, and is reasonably portable compared to moving a small refrigerator.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Photos please!

17. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I can only recommend you try one before you buy (assuming you haven't played through one already)
    A Berg 2x15 will SMOKE that cabinet and be a LOT easier to deal with. The V4-B cab makes the SVT 8x10 seem petite. It's a serious pig in every sense.

I bought one a few years back, it was in a music store for fairly cheap and of course, they couldn't sell it. I love my V4-B so much I had to have it, and traded an old Hartke 4x10 for it. They couldn't help me get it out the door fast enough! I took it home, plugged it in to the V4-B, and promptly never used it again. It makes an impressive display stand for the lovely Ampeg head though!

18. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I used a then new '70 SVT head with 2-V4B 215 cabs with the optional from Ampeg (when they were made in New Jersey) Altec 421's. I played these in concerts and larger club gigs for about 10 years and loved the way they sounded with my Ampeg AMB-1 Scroll head and my P/J. I've never heard better lows from anything I've played since. You have to remember though that back in the early '70's bass played a more supportive roll so not having lots of upper mids and quick highs was not nearly as important as holding up the low end, of course there were players who wanted to stand out and cut through more and as far as Ampegs go they mostly used the 8x10's in those days. I did see some players combine a V4B 215 with an 810 which seemed to work ok. I personally would never want to use a V4B 215 again due to its' insanely high weight! These boxes were well over 100 lbs. with the Altecs. I'm really sorry I don't have any pics to share.

George

19. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    Thanks for the response. The fact of the matter is, I use Fitzmaurice products allready, DR200's, Omni 10, Tuba 24's and a soon to be completed set of T39's. I agree with your comment about the v4b being obsolete.

I just want one because I think the nostalgia of it is neat.

20. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    So what happened to it? Where is it?