wants to take up bass but doesn't know jack

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Silent B, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Silent B

Silent B

Jan 2, 2006
    Hello, everyone. I'm Silent B, and I really want to get into bass guitar. I'm a big fan of classic rock; REO Speed Wagon, Foreigner, Queen and stuff like that. However, I never realized how important bass was or even noticed it until I got into classic prog rock very recently; Alan Parson's Project, The Doors, Pink Floyd and so on. I love the bass in Dark Side of the Moon's "Money," and my friend who has a band has been begging me to take up bass guitar and join his band. They're only into Heavy Metal, Death Metal and stuff like that, which I hate personally, but maybe I'll play with them occassionally and do my own thing or find another band that's into classic and prog rock. I already have 13 years of piano playing experience so I can read music fluently. However, I don't know jack about bass guitars; what different kinds there are, what brands, amplifiers, accessories or even how to play them. However, I know that to start practicing, I have to have one in my hands. Does anyone recomend a specific model that I can buy on eBay that I can use for mostly Pink Floyd/Foreigner kind of music? I'm not looking for a really flashy setup with a prestigious brand name or anything like that. Can I get a good setup for about $300?
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    beat the dead horse again...... read the newbie guide!

but for a quick answer, www.rondomusic.com check out the P/J 4 strings, great way to start
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    welcome to the world of bass! The SX are a great entry level bass. However, i would caution that if you are serious (once that has been established after playing for awhile) buy the best gear you can. You will enjoy it more and it will save you LOTS of money in the long run.
  4. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005

VeganBass is totally correct! Buy the best gear you can when you figure out you're in for the long run... but remember.. that doesn't always mean the most expensive... From what i've been hearing you may be quite pleased with the SX... Mine should be here any day now :)
  5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I would look on e-bay for a used Fender Jazz or P bass and if you find you don't like playing you could always sell it and get your money back.
  6. I agree.A good used fender P or Jazz would be my pick too.If you are able,go to a guitar store and compare the two for neck feel.I prefer the thin slender neck of the jazz.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hi Silent B. SXs are good basses for the money. Alot of the owners modify the heck out of them. It's a fun way to personalize the basses and make it "theirs". But out of the box, SXs are definitely playable and good to go with minimal fussing.

Since playing in a rock band is in the cards you will probably cough up a bit more than $300 so you can get an SX and satisfactory amplification.
  8. if you wanna get a pink floyd sound, definately get some kind of p-bass, roger waters and david gilmour (gilmour recorded alot of the bass lines, if you didnt know) used p basses for their music. i dunno what to say for amps, but i know roger waters uses ashdown amps right now, i dont know what he used in his pink floyd days.

like these guys have said, SX would be your best bet for a decent bass with a $300 setup