Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jun 30, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, that movie was dark. I honestly was not expecting it to be that heavy. There was some messed up stuff in there. Granted, there are a lot of movies that are a lot worse in terms of subject matter, but it really hits you when you're absolutely not expecting it. (Which I wasn't.)

A weird movie with a weird message, especially regarding the "expected" human behavior in a crisis situation.

Still, it was a really good movie that did a good job of avoiding being another "Independence Day".

That little girl was an incredible actress! Probably one of the best child performances I've seen in an action movie.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Did they kill tom cruise at the end?

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    ~spoiler alert~ lol rofl omg

Sadly, no. :meh:

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Has anybody in Hollywood had a tiny hint of an original idea lately?

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    To be fair, CO - can I call you CO? - they pulled this one off in a different fashion that most of the cheesy alien invasion flicks. There was a minimal amount of cheese in this one.

And they're not afraid to show dead and dying bodies, which is something that gets glossed over in a lot of movies. That's gotta count for something.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I think he means "why the hell are they just making books into movies recently?", ducky.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Recently? Hell, it's been happening for as long as I can remember. Which is slightly less than 20 some years. The first couple are a blur.

Also, all of the good stories come from books. When you make movies that aren't from books, you get "Are We There Yet?".

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    but it seems EVERYTHING is from a book now. Hell, even bruce willis made a movie into a book. Hostage the book pwned... i need to go rent the flick.

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Not only that, but we're seeing TV shows long gone turned into movies, old movies remade (not just a different version of a movie, or a different interpretation of a character), more prequels, things like that.

10. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    It also has been made as a movie before

[​IMG]

And in Radio
    Hasn't been topped in terms of impact on the general populous by a act of fiction, or at least with as much style.

11. You mean Dakota Fanning? She is probably one of the best child actresses out there. She can turn on the creepy in some movies. Can't wait to see how her acting improves in years to come.

And as for original ideas...I think Unleashed wasn't based off of anything(I may be wrong here, but Luc Besson is awesome and I will forever love The Fifth Element). And Serenity(hasn't come out yet, but be sure to check it out when it does). Joss Whedon hit paydirt when he came up with Firefly, it's just too bad they had to cancel it. How the execs made him and Tim Minear write a script in 2 days over the hour and a half long pilot baffles me. Obviously it won't be as good...[/rant of cancellation of Firefly]

I haven't actually seen War of the Worlds yet, is it worth seeing?

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes, I would say it is worth seeing.

Dakota Fanning... what an unfortunately named child.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Prepare to die, earth scum! :D

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
  14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i saw it last night, it was good, but not great...

keep in mind, it takes a lot to impress me at the movies...

15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    It's a shame Tom Cruise has to be in it, otherwise I would be interested in seeing it.

I may see it at the cheap shoes. People need to stop going to movies when they first come out. Wait for the cheap show, cripple the industry. Maybe this will change the current trend of making awful movies.

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Actually Tom Cruise will probably be good at this role (haven't seen it yet) because he believes in Alliens. In fact he talks to them, every day!
    :D

17. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Who gives a damn who's in it? Regardless of our opinions - if they act well and the plot is good - who care?

18. Well, since Tom Cruise has been acting so bizarrely lately, his presence may make it hard for someone to be totally engrossed in the movie. When they are good, movies take us away from reality - I'm sure Tom's public antics will make the movie less enthralling for some.

Personally, I don't care. But I can see how some might.

19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have heard this one before. It definitly matters who is in it. I am amazed people actually liked the Matrix movies.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I bet people would have liked them even less if the first choice for the character of Neo hadn't passed up on the role...

Will Smith. ~shudder~