1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warick Thumb & EB MM Stingray, P bass next?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by triggervision, Aug 15, 2007.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I play hard rock and love to cut through the mix (who doesn't in rock music?). I'm about fed up with the musicman because after bagillions of tweaks the d and g string still seem so quiet. Then again that's comparing it to my thumb which cuts through like "insert metaphor." I was wondering what I should get or replace the MM with? I was thinking about trying a p bass but haven't had the pleasure to play an active p. What are the tonal differences? I thought about a Rickenbacker, possibly a Spector Euro, or an older Modulus VJ. The problem is though is none of these I can get my hands on so it would be great for some tone comparisons. Also, I'm open to any suggestions about what to add to my arsenal as I know I've not had the opportunity to try as many basses as you guys so maybe you guys can help. Thanks!

2. Why not use the thumb?
    :)

3. I would recomend getting an active p instead of passive because of the tone and cutting through the mix factor. I have a Spector Euro and have to say that it beats my fender when it comes to pick style rock playing, just be sure keep the strings pretty fresh on the spector and the tone will be unbelievable. Also, the spector cuts through the mix better than any other bass that I have played.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I dunno, I have a 7 yr old set of flats on my passive P and cuts through loud and clear in my (detuned) hard rock band. Then again I do have an army of Stingrays too, so it's a bummer yours just isn't working for you.

You can't go wrong with a Spector Euro, quite a powerful bass.

5. thats actually a simile...
    sorry, I just had to point that out. :bag:

as far as you're question, I have no idea :D:rolleyes:

6. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006

Word

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    If you want to cut through the mix, get a Jazz. If you want to lay down thick supporting lines, get a P. If you want to do a little bit of both, get a P/J, like an Aerodyne or the MIM P-bass Special. If you are getting a Fender for metal, the Aerodyne Jazz bass couldn't be more appropriate. You should check one out next time you have a chance.

8. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I do use my thumb and my MM is my backup. I will definitely try to play a spector euro. It'll have to be next time I go to atlanta though. I'll scope out the rest of them too. I just wanted to hear some opinions because I've never been able to play any of these. Thanks guys

9. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    If the Thumb's working for you, I'd save my money and use that.

Just my 2 cents.

10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    That is exactly why I bought my Spector, the B string kicks all forms of #$%. I used to have a Carvin 6 string with a totally weak preamp. Always had to turn up volume.

Attached Files:

11. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    +1 on using the Thumb. But if you want a classic sound that cuts through like a mofo then get a Rick. A 75 RI jazz or a Geddy Lee sig Jazz won't be a bad choice either IMO.

12. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Nah...

Just get a G&L of your liking and never look back. :D