1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warlock Bass.. having second thoughts..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Im having second thoughts on my Warlock Bass, if to cancel or not. I dont really wanna play Death Metal like Slayer, id rather play 80s "metal" like Iron Maiden and such. Am i better off with a Fender Squier affinity P bass? I Saw a shop in sweden who has them, so i could get one easy. what do you think:/? shud i cancel order?

2. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Maybe someone with a BC rich warlock that can tell me if it can sound anything like the bass in Iron Maiden or other bands of that style? Or rather, it says its good for heavy metal, but is it good for traditional Heavy Metal like Black Sabbath, Judas priest etc? Or more like Slayer? Cos ill get if it sounds good for traditional Heavy Metal..

3. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I would not go with anything from them. I'd either look used or get an SX P Bass

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Haven't played one but never heard a good comment. Just look for a good bass, an SX P seems to fit the bill nicely.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    if you don't like the looks now, then chances are you're gonna hate them later. the higher end BC Rich's are pretty sweet, more regular looking, but i can't stand the pointies. i'd say to go with an SX.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Instead of listening to comments about what someone heard or didn't hear, try one out. Personally, I love my BCR basses. I have three of them currently and you never know, I might buy more! :p

BTW, the BC Rich Warlock is synominous with 80's hair metal. Just about every heavy metal band from that era played a Warlock at one time or another.

The key to a decent Warlock is DO NOT buy a Bronze or Platinum series! You need to buy an NJ, USA, or custom shop model to get a good one.

Do a search on BC Rich and you will find some really good threads with lots of info. Good luck.

7. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    Not sure which one I played, about an $800 Warlock at a shop a few weeks ago.

Sounded great, would be good for Metal no doubt.

But let go and the neck dives to the ground, I think it's because both strap buttons are on the back in the same plane, so the weight just hinges on your strap.
    If the buttons were on the sides (or at least one of 'em) the bass wouldn't hinge like that, it would also add some tension with the strap folding over the body.

I wouldn't buy one personally just because of that fact, very hard to hold IMO.

8. Why get either, i'd say go with a classic Fender Jazz or a nice Warwick....but for that money, go ahead and get a yamaha over a squire.

9. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ifiwasflea, im on a tight budget, and icant find any SX.. im talking Warlock BRONCE:/ So either that or a squier affinity p

10. +1

11. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I decided for a Squier, seems to be an alright beginners bass, ill get a better at my birthday:)

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, canceled my Warlock order and found a store that put it aside for me till thursday;D Im gonna pick it up by then, because theres no shipping cost now i might be able to afford an amplifier^^

13. $800 for a warlock bronze?!

Egad, man.

14. 1zero

1zero

May 20, 2005
    IMO the squier's much better value than the warlock in this case..

15. black lake

black lake Guest

Apr 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    My buddy has a Warlock. Nice sound, and plays ok, but a few things annoy me about this design: It is neck heavy, because of the shape you cannot place it on a regular stand, and the strap button placement makes the bass flip face down when you are playing. Too much trouble for my style and taste.

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Out of the two basses you mentioned the Squier is definately the better choice IMO. I may be a BC Rich freak but I am also realistic about what they are and the Bronze series is just crap.

Anyways, the Squier should take care of you. Good luck and enjoy! :)

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    And im going to take care of it^^

18. stevie p

stevie p

Apr 27, 2005
    the newer affinity series basses from squier are being built in china. The quality is much better now in my opinion. I own a P style affinity and still play it. there are many ways of customizing your jazz squier.

19. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    I'm not sure which Warlock it was, probably not a bronze. I just said i tried and $800 Warlock. It was nice, played nice, sounded good, but the strap, neck dive thing sucked. I just played it because I could ya know, so I didn't pay much attention to what 'quality' it was.