Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warm, 3-band EQ for Fretless...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Nov 5, 2003.

1. I have an SX fretless, and I'm trying to find a warm, 3 band preamp to throw in, and would work well with the Bart J-p/ups that I have in it.

I was looking at the Bart 3-band, Demeter, or Sadowsky...but idk. I also need it to be fairly small to be able to fit into the small cavity.

***NOT LOOKING FOR HI-FI***

2. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I think the Aguilar obp-3 would be great in a fretless, especially with the mid frequency set properly (450hz in my opinion). And if you add a capacitor to the preamp output you'll knock some of the high end off and it'll be nice and warm.

3. So what "size" (for lack of a better term) would you suggest?

And do you think that I should have a hole routed for a battery box?

4. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I don't understand what you mean by "size". Are you asking which version of the OBP-3? I'm not familiar with their prewired versions, so I really can't help you there.

A batter box definitely makes switchig the battery easier, but it's a pain for the average guy to install. You have to rout a fairly accuratley sized cavity, and unless you have a template, that's a tough undertaking. Were you going to have this done by a repair shop?

5. What I meant by size was the rating of the capacitor...

And, yes I was thinking of having a repair shop route it out for me.

But I am interested in a preamp that, itself, is small in size, because I don't have too much room. Something like trying to drive a fire truck in between houses in San Fransisco.

6. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I've used a .022 mf cap with some success. A larger value will take more off the top.
    The Aguilar is pretty small. I believe they have dimensions on their website.
    Good luck!

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I'm with Carey in recommending the Aguilar OBP-3. And it's ridiculously small, and should easily fit into the cavity of your SX, should even have plenty of room for the battery with no additional routing.

BTW Carey, your basses are making me very GAS-y, but don't tell Ken Smith. :bag:

Do you like how the OBP-3 works with your pickups?

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Dunno if it's what you're after, (knowing me, prob not) but Seynour Duncan do a Steve Bailey preamp and pickup, designed for fretless. Comes in 2 or 3 band version, with a special low-mid and high-mid harmonic frequency boost switch.

I'm intrigued anyway

9. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Craig,
    You selling a Smith soon? ;)
    I love the way the obp-3 works with my pickups. It's a unity gain preamp so the level is the same when you're in passive mode as when you're in active with the eq flat.

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    :eek:

Heck no! But I've got plenty of room for more basses. Man, I just realized I only have two! :eek: :eek:

That's just madness.

Besides, the reason I keep turning down Ken, Vinnie, Roger, Mike, Dan, the other Mike, Keith and all the others who are begging me to endorse their basses is so I'm free to play whatever I want. ;)

And if you believe that...there's a bridge right near Roger's shop that I can let you have for cheap.

11. Craig, man, you need to purchase another bass and soon! :D

[​IMG]
    Treena