1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warm and Transportable Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Gotsch, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Hey everyone.
    So here’s the deal: I’m playing a Peavey 110 practice amp, and I’m thinking about maybe upgrading. I’m looking for a really warm can to pair with a Subway D800+ which I’ve played and loved. If you want to know, I play a Fender 70s Reissue MIM and my genres are Jazz, Fusion, and Funk. I want a warm and sorta vintage sounding thing.

I’ve seen people saying markbass is good, but people also seem to dislike them. I’ve also seen really positive reviews for Berg.

Size wise, I’m thinking 2x12, bc 1x15s sound too muddy to me and I want something more transportable than a 4x10. I also want something a little bit more than a 2x10.

To summarize, I’m looking for a 2x12 (not 2 1x12s) amp that is either warm already or can just be blank and simply transport the sound from my Subway D800+ (when I get it).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Budget?

3. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Preferably under 1,500$ - I’m looking for a long term cab. Under 1,000$ if possible.

4. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    Phil Jones Suitcase... unsurpassable.

selowitch and TheReceder like this.
  5. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I've heard good things about the matching Mesa Boogie cabs.

JaseyT, bebi, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I know that you said 2x12, but I have a Fearless F112 that I had built for me, and it is the best cab I've ever owned. It weighs about 35 pounds, and I use it on gigs from small to medium rooms without FOH support, to large stages and it really pushes air. I mean I've had seasoned musicians look at the cab, and smirk, but then say, WOW all that coming from that little cab? @popgadget was my builder, and he's located in PA.

Here's his website: fEARless

DanGR and jmlee like this.
  7. BryanB

I am assuming that 'warm' means vintage. I am a big fan of the fearless line. I have two myself. But I would not call them vintage.

@Tom Gotsch: when looking at modern speakers, even ones with a vintage sound, the actual speaker size does not determine the sound, the driver and enclosure design does. You are better off trying several speakers in all configurations to find the one that sounds best to you. Use your ears, not your eyes.

8. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, I see. Yeah, the 1x15 was surprisingly lacking in definition considering other people say they don’t.

9. BryanB

I have a 2x12 with mid and horn drivers. I like the format. Plenty of volume while still being relatively compact. Mine is a Fearless. It's very modern sounding. For you, I would look at a couple of these: Subway Ultra-Lite Bass Cabinet 1x12 | MESA/Boogie®

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    The F112 can take whatever you put into it. If you put tubey goodness in, then that's what you will get out. That's what transparent means. @Tom Gotsch if you're near NJ, you are more than welcome to come try out my F112.

11. BryanB

That is true. I have an F112 and an F212. They are pretty neutral cabs. When I want to go vintage, I use a cab sim.

12. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    fEARless, I assume?

13. BryanB

Yup.

14. Mesa used to make 212 cabs that had a nice round sound. Might be able to find one on the used market. Aguilar makes a vertical 212 that’s nice (and expensive), avatar 212 cabs can be found pretty cheap used if you’re on a tight budget.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Gonna buck the system.

See if you can find a Mesa Scout 15" used.

Sounds warm. Moves a ton of air. No lack for definition whatsoever.

By the way, bass speaker cabs are tuned to sound they way they do. Driver (speaker) size has little or nothing to do with it. Other stats regarding individual drivers and cab tuning play a larger role in the overall sound of a cab.

I would wager that @agedhorse (or someone equally qualified) could design a cab around 10s that would he a muddy mess and another one around a 15 that would be brittle and harsh sounding.

There's more math.... and.... junk.... than driver size. You gotta have a pocket protector though, I think.

I know none of this math. But I'm glad there are people who do.

bebi and agedhorse like this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Why not the matching Subway cabs? With that budget you can get pretty much anything you want.

Fingerer likes this.
  17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Likely a slide rule too

Rich Fiscus and two fingers like this.
  18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    115s sound too muddy? I wonder which 115 cabinets you have tried with a Mesa D800? Honestly Tom, speaker size does not determine tone color. I have no doubt you can find a "too muddy" anything, if you look. :D

I'd advise you too just get any top quality 212, 115, or even 210 cab that is in your budget. It will have a good likelihood of doing what you want, and will be attractive to others should you decide to sell it. If you want to skip a step or two, get a fEARful, Fearless, Audiokinesis, or Barefaced. They are all capable of making essentially any sound you want in that they deliver what is put in. :cool:

On the other hand, if you want the cabinet to produce a significant part of your tone, you will find yourself with something that works well for that, but less well for when your ideals change. :banghead:

There is no substitute for experience, Tom. You need to spend less time listening to opinions (IMHO, LOL), and more time listening to speaker cabinets. Since you have not filled out your profile, no one can advise you about where and how to hear some perspective cabinets, so you might consider fixing that. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    eriky4003 and Tom Gotsch like this.
  19. bushbass

bushbass

Nov 6, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Take your head to a music store and try it through some Fender Rumble cabs if you get a chance. They don’t have a 212 but you might be surprised at the tone and volume out of the 115 or 210 and they’re well within your budget. Or you might hate it! :roflmao: But it’s worth checking out.
    P.S. I’ve never played thru that head but my Rumble combo has all the warm tone I could ever want

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Raise your hand if you have know idea what that is. :roflmao:

(I bet more than half here don't :cool:)