1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warm, Cuts, Clean,

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azbazz, May 7, 2006.

1. azbazz

azbazz

Mar 13, 2006
    Arizona
    I am interested in an amp that is warm, able to cut thru the mix, is clean at high volume, is around 300W at 8 ohms and around 700 watts at 4 ohms and goes well with an MTD 535 ash body and wenge neck and finger board. Treble range is last in priority.

Would such a beast exist?

Thanks

2. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    When you say cuts through I think Trace elliot. But when you say warm AND clean I think GK

3. Im thinking Mesa 400/400+ or maybe some TE Quadra or Hexa valve, V4,V6 or V8

But you seem to be looking at SS amps

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Definetly GK. Have you heard of Norm Stockton? He uses only MTD basses, GK 1001RB-II Head with the new line of Neo cabs. It can contain those natural mids that the MTDs can have or it can let them shine through. I saw him play for about 45 minutes to an hour, 2 days in a row and it basically sucked for me...because I had found my dream tone and it started with a $4,000 bass.

But since you already have that, the GK heads and cabs are reasonably priced for what you get. Guitar Center usually has GK stuff hooked up.

-Eric.

5. The best prices I have seen on the GKs is www.rmcaudio.com , formerly Ric's Music. Another choice for warm and clean are the Genz Benz GBE series. The 750 and 1200 are great amps, warm and clean with two preamps, SS and tube and the ability to blend the two.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I dont have a lot of experience with them but have you checked into Eden stuff?

7. Warm....cuts......clean.......DB750

8. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    +1, my thoughts exactly....but then again we are both db750 owners.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'll add another vote for GK.

10. azbazz

azbazz

Mar 13, 2006
    Arizona
    Thanks for the input...I have been thinking of GK and Genz Benz...almost bought the GBE 600 when MF was having their blow out....you guys helped to confirm my thoughts....not sure whether I want to drop the $$$$ on Aguliar though.

11. HA! true, but honestly, if you aren't looking for hi-fi, the DB750 is awsome. I don't think anyone could own this amp, and get rid of it. (I've heard stories about people having sellers regret and buying these again)

12. azbazz

azbazz

Mar 13, 2006
    Arizona
    How would you describe the Thunderfunk? Never had an opportunity to hear one. What genre is its forte.

13. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I think mine does a nice hifi tone with the right bass, it's just not an inherent part of the tone. i think it's thick but transparent.

14. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Another vote for Mesa 400/400+. Took 22 years to figure that one out. No more GAS.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the thunderfunk would be another great option, cause with the timbre knob is terrific for giving you that fat sound you're looking for, but its 500 watts @ 4 ohms. and yet, strangely, at those stupid loud volumes, the low end stays clean and supreme.

17. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Ha! It only took me 13 years to find the Mesa 400+ and become gas free.....;)
    The Mesa, 400 (non plus) and the amazing D-180 should also be on your list. (used)

18. my first thought -- and i'll get stoned for saying this -- is a used peavey max700 or firebass head. except for that they're only 475W at 4O (275W at 8O). it's also a far sight cheaper than a DB750, though most people would cringe at even comparing the two. (of course, SMASH compared the DB with the carvin B1500 and came away impressed with the B1500, so maybe it's not so wrong afterall....)

i've always had good experiences with the firebass/max700. they are warm and loud, very clean, and they cut well. controls are very intuitive and effective. power is there. weight is on the heavy side. so maybe look at the carvin B1500 while you're looking. it's not exactly light, but it's not the boat anchor that the DB 750 is.

robb.

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You are exactly describing a Thunderfunk550 IMO. I love the way my MTD sounds through that amp.... it really brings out the mid punch of that bass IMO.

It's not quite 700 watts into 4 (it's 550), but it's a LOUD 550!

20. I wonder why nobody yet mentioned Ashdown - the ABM 500 EVO II seems to provide enough wattage, and I that there is plenty of warmth as well in its sound