1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warm EQ Or Pre Amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Hello, all.

I was wondering which Pre amp or EQ would add a nice warm tone to a bass.

I just started playing my Epiphone Jack Casady bass again, and also have a Fender T-Bucket bass, and love the warm, round sound of hollow-body and acoustic basses. As warm as these two basses sound, I'd like an even warmer, more open sound if that's possible. Amp suggestions would be welcome as well. I'm currently playing through a Fender Rumble 40.

I've read a few things about the Empress Para EQ.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The Southampton Ictineo will get you there.

blindrabbit and gregmon79 like this.
  3. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I like my new MXR bass preamp. Super clean and a great DI as well.

4. Andysoundbass

Andysoundbass

Sep 7, 2017
    Just got my DHA vt1 bass eq/drive/di from the parcel depo!
    I love it!!
    It uses a 12ax7 tube and has eq. Able to dial in warm, very warm, hot and filthy!! I am mostly going for warm n toasty!
    Made in the uk by Dave Hall who is a member on this forum.
    £170 brand new (I chose a plain orange finish), handmade and very lovely.
    Amazing difference when used before valve amp or solid state.
    My valve amp is actually a 1950s radio so can't really compare with an ampeg or whatever!!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    knumbskull likes this.
  5. Andysoundbass

Andysoundbass

Sep 7, 2017
    From the link "The Ictineo is Southampton's remake of a classic and near impossible to find bass preamp and tone shaping tool." - what preamp are they referring to?

6. Andysoundbass

Andysoundbass

Sep 7, 2017
    Link: DHA VT1-EQ-DI-Bass Mk2+ - NEW Valve/tube overdrive and distortion pedal for Bass | eBay

7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The Submaine deluxe

knumbskull and gregmon79 like this.
  8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Here's a sort of weird/ unique suggestion, the Snarling Dogs Verytone. It's a varitone + preamp pedal, it has 10 different varitone modes + a volume compensator that can be used in a preamp mode with the varitone bypassed.

I tend to just use it as a boost/ preamp as it's very loud and thickens up the tone a ton, my main complaint is the volume range could be better. As in it's still pretty loud turned down all the way, it goes from loud to louder :roflmao:

I got mine used so maybe it's just messed up but it's still a cool pedal, I mainly bought it to try and mod/ clone eventually as I was interested in varitone wiring's but liked the idea of it being in a pedal over individual instruments.

The Varitone modes are interesting but not super usable in many cases. They are fun to experiment with other pedals though and with different instruments as they can really change the tone drastically.

10. There's a DIY Varitone thread on TB, might be easier to build one or have it built for you than to track down a used Snarling Dog, that beast has been put down for a while now.

The EmpressPara EQ and an Ictineo would be an amazing match! I've got half that equation completed — gotta follow up with the second half now.
    Add a flip-flop so you can drive the Ictineo with the ParaEQ'S boost for some grit, or after to superheat the Ictineo's warmth...

11. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I'd say that the Neve 1073 is my all-time favorite preamp. It's an expensive piece of studio gear (probably $3500 per channel) and I'd describe it more in the warm/fat category. If you go into a recording studio, 99% chance they're going to plug you and the kick drum into a Neve or Neve-Clone (Vintech, BAE, Aurora Audio, etc.) pre; it's just the rules :)

That being said, Neve 1073's are hard to come by, as they haven't been made in over 30 or 40 years, so used is the only way to go. However, you can great stuff (and prices, comparatively) from companies that clone their design and looks. For instance, BAE makes and incredible 1073 clone, and they even have a DI box version of it. Check out the BAE 1073DMP 1073DMP

Lots of dudes rocking this box, for an excellent reason :) Hope that helps!

12. How about instead of looking at an EQ type preamp, a mild OD like the Fairfield Barbershop instead? I used to favor preamps/sims like the VT Bass and others until I found the Barbershop. It's instant warmth without being over the top and doesn't really have a "baked in" sound to it. I use a cleaner EQ pre (MXR M81) in conjunction with it so I can keep my tone shaping separate, with the Barbershop going right before the amp input. It adds a special harmonic richness to the tone that can liven up any rig. That said, there are now more and more preamps with similar capabilities to choose from so you won't be wanting for selection. Good luck in your quest.

13. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i've tried several - for some tone control & warmth ( not dirt )

right now , my fav & most useful , well built , quiet tool is my ;

Lehle RMI Classic Boost/EQ ... ;

When we designed the Basswitch Classic Boost we had in mind classic passive P, JJ and PJ basses. This compact preamp combines the Basswitch IQ DI´s boost with a 3-band-eq especially voiced for vintage basses. Additionally the treble control combines a passive high frequencies reduction with an active high frequency boost.
    This can substitute the installation of active electronics in the instrument, collectors or owners of vintage instruments will appreciate this, and your vintage bass will receive a new sonic shine without altering the characteristic sound of your instrument.
    The Basswitch Classic Boost allows gain adjustment of +/- 15 dB and can be used as a stand-alone booster, it can be teamed up with the Basswitch IQ DI for more options or work as a compact standalone preamp in front of an active monitor or bass cab.
    The approved Lehle True Sound Technology ensures a great tone: starting from the discrete JFET input stage, up to the switching via gold-plated relais this booster offers a more than studio-standard dynamic range of over 110 dB with very little noise. The Basswitch Classic Boost works internally with 18 V, but is content with all power supplies between 9 – 15 V AC or DC. The extremely robust construction with its protected controls and indestructable switching mechanism will provide many years of joy with classical boosting!

14. I think the Aguilar Tone Hammer sound is pretty warm. I have the amp but I bet the preamp pedal version can get you that same sound.

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Great suggestions above. In addition, I recommend the DSM Noisemaker OmniCabSim.

dsm-noisemaker

Edit: check with @Dsmnoisemaker to see whether the Talkbass discount is still active.

16. WOW! This is a treasure trove of advice here!

I haven't heard of most of the stuff mentioned here, but that's what a site like this is all about. I'm going to research all of them.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and by all means, keep them coming.

Mike :thumbsup:

gregmon79 likes this.
  17. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    Look for a used eden wp100 navigator or an Alembic F1X

18. Hello again, all.

I just wanted to let you know that I bought a Boss GEB-7 bass eq pedal yesterday.

I figured I'd start with the simplest pedal to establish my own frame of reference, and I have to say, I like it a lot!

When I got home, I plugged it in with My Jackbass, and immediately I could hear a difference, and the types of tones I was looking for.

I also tried about 5 basses that I'm gassing for now, but that's for another discussion.

I'll report back when I have more experience with this, but so far I really like it.

Mike

gregmon79 likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It’s a remake of the discontinued Zeibek Designer Submarine preamp pedal.

861E347C-5113-4EC6-BEC7-65CEC303DCE6.jpeg C7E44C80-09F5-49C6-AB57-0D426401E90F.jpeg

It’s a really nice preamp. But it has a lot of settings so it may take awhile for you to find the sounds you’re looking for until you get a better handle on how all the controls work and interact. It’s not what you’d call a “plug & go” preamp. But if you’re into exploration and tweaking settings, it’s a dream box. There’s very little you can’t get out of an Ictineo.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  20. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I love my Tone Hammer DI. And they can be had for a reasonable price here on TB.

It's always-on with the AGS engaged and the Gain set really low.

blindrabbit and Al Kraft like this.