1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warm nickel rounds for passive jazz bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    What do you like best for this application? I like my D'Addario XLs, but they are a little too bright and clanky. I am thinking about DR Sunbeams, DR Nickel Lo-Riders, GHS Bass Boomers, Lakland Nickels, Fender 7150M.

2. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    my experience is with the DR's. I have both the sunbeam and nickel loriders on 2 of my basses. The sunbeams seem warmer but the strings have less tension then nickel loriders.

3. the Fender 7150's get very warm once they "break in"

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Are than warmer than any of the others I listed?

5. DRs are the bomb. I really like Black Beauties. The Sunbeams seemed to go dead too quickly, IME.

6. sorry I don't have experience with all the strings you listed...

but they are warmer than the GHS Boomers & the DR sunbeams IMO

7. Sunbeams all the way! Unless you like the really really new string sound. Yes, Sunbeams change sound in a few days (dont all strings?) but after that they dont really get dead for at least a few months of constant playing IME. The most consistent tone I've had out of strings aside from flatwounds like Chromes. And for $23 for a four string set they're on the lower side of the price spectrum, which is always good.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    7150's are the warmest nickels i have used and i agree with the other TBer who said they mellow as they break in...very nice and cheap.

9. Fat K

Fat K

Mar 7, 2008
    Hong Kong
    IMO, "broken in" DR Sunbeam is warmer and smoother than "broken in" Fender 7150, especially with the highh notes at least it is with my Squier VM Fretless.

I must say though the 7150 is definitely an alternative of Sunbeam, both sound and price-wise.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

DR "Sunbeams"

Or Ken Smith "Compressors"

Both work great for that tone.

Compressors are a little darker, warmer.
    DR's feel great, well balanced.

11. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Interesting...

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I just got a Squire VM fretless and thought I had a set of TI Jazz Flats. When I opened tehm, it turned out to be rounds - I think a unused set of DR Sunbeams. I'm going to put them on tonight and will try to report back later.

13. I have found GHS Compressed Strings to be about the warmest strings I have ever used for rounds.

14. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    So between the 7150M, Nickel Lo-Riders, and Sunbeams, which is the warmest/most vintage sounding?

15. DR Sunbeams

16. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    sadowsky blue labels

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've played the nickel Lo-Riders, though not the Sunbeams. The nickel Lo-Riders were actually warmer than what I was really going for at the time, so I didn't buy 'em again. From everything I've gathered, the Sunbeams would indeed be even warmer.

I haven't played Boomers for a long time, but they're a brighter, more aggressive-sounding string anyway. I'd go with the DR Sunbeams if I were you ... :meh:

MM

18. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for all the help guys, Now it's between the Sunbeams and the 7150M, but I'm leaning towards the Sunbeams because I like less tension on a jazz.

19. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    one last bump

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I've got 7150Ms on my AV62 Jazz and they are my favorite strings by far on a Jazz bass. I haven't tried Sunbeams, but I have tried Nickel Lo Riders and they are good strings too. I actually really like Sunbeam acoustic guitar strings, though :)