Warm Replacement PUPs for P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alexander, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm looking to potentially replace the PUPs in a MIM P-Bass. I want, above all else a very warm sound. The sales guy offered me a set of quarter pounders, but in searching the forums here, I'm not sure if that is what I want - my other bass is a hotrodded Thumb and it is plenty hot, cutting, etc. The Fender 62 re-issues sound interesting, but I'm open to suggestions. Any idea how much the 62's cost?
  2. Joe'sBass

Mar 3, 2003
    I've heard the Frailin's and really liked them. The Duncan Antiquity's are nice too. It's hard to say which one I like better though because I couldn't hear them swapped out one after the other.

There is something about a Thumb Bass though that is the opposite of a warm organic P bass...so don't expect to get them to sound similar. The Thumb has that great cutting focus to it and the P just has that nice smooth blur to it...

Where you wanting them to have similar output, or similar tone?
  3. My experiences are the higher output pickups such as the Duncan Hot P, and the DiMarzio DP146 have no thump. (fast attack, rapid decay).

The lower output pickups such as the Duncan Vintage P have the thump. The DP146 has lots of sustain and is aggressive sounding, even with flats. The Hot for P was all mids, and not to my taste at all. Very similar to turning the Mids tone control all the way up.
  4. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Right - I got the P bass because it is so different than the Thumb. Both have their place, but I am looking for the warm, fat low end out of the P bass that the Thumb definitely does not have. I am trying to stay away from the hot, mid-range tone with this bass and go for a warmer passive sound.

I love the Thumb, don't get me wrong - I am just looking for something a bit different with this bass.

Thanks for the replies! Anyone else?
  5. I put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound in mine, and I'm not so sure I like it. My P lost a little bit of its warmth when I changed the PUP. However, the Quarter Pound does have a lot more "lows" than the stock pickup did. If I could do it again, I'd probably go with the antiquity.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    bgavin and I have discussed P pickups quite a bit, and while I may not agree totally with his observations (we have different basses after all), I think he's generally right. My current fave is the Duncan SPB-1, although I haven't tried the Antiquity in so long I forget what it sounds like. I also like the SPB-2 Hot. I have an old el-cheapo Washburn and it helps it a lot. In my opinion, the classic P-tone is more about mids and low mids than anything else. The really deep lows are a bit attenuated, as are the highs. Something like an SPB-3 or an EMG will give you deeper lows and higher highs, but like bgavin says, you lose some of the P-bass tone. I also found the SPB-3 to be pretty harsh on the high end. I like the EMG OK, the highs are not as brittle as the SPB-3 IME, but it's not thumpy like a "vintage-voiced" P pup.