Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Warm" sounding 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Mar 16, 2001.

1. I am trying to trade my SWR 2x12 Bigfoot for a 4x10 but I am looking for something that is not brittle. Something along the lines of Aguilar and Eden but without the price tag. Could Acme or Peavey work? Any thoughts or comments appreciated

2. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have two Peavey 8X10's and they are loud, but have a natural dip in the mid frequencies, which makes them somewhat brittle, but I like them. My Warwick cabs are really warm, though. I don't think they make them anymore . I also wouldn't say that eden cabs are warm, they just have a lot of bass, a little too much for me.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I heard that the aguilar sound very warm, I would like to try them,but I can't. Here in montreal you have the choice of Eden and SWR.
    I was thinking about a 2X12. I'm plying with 2, 15" right now, no tweeter. How is the SWR?

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ampeg. Very warm and pretty reasonably priced, IMO.

5. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Sunn's new 4x10 sounded warm to my ears,not too pricey.Downright cheap compared to an Eden.

6. You may want to try Ashdown too.

7. I think I may like the Ashdown stuff but I am downright terrified about dealing with an overseas company. I break more sh*t than a two year old and I have a feeling it would take a long time for a warranty repair to get there and back

Sunn, Nobody in Pittsburgh even sell Sunn.

Ampeg-Hated every cab Ive ever heard, Granted only the Classic series and the PR410HLF But thats BANGIN'-

Yvon, as far as the SWR 2x12 goes, if you can get one consider yourself lucky to get that far. They are discontinued and, from what I seen, not very available. I have Black widow speakers in there now and they are very stiff sounding until you hit em with some megapower, then there OK. All in All nice cab, lod enough to stand alone, and good tone coloration as well

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I like my Peavey 410. It gets a great sound. For the 10"'s they have good lows, they don't distort at all. REALLY good mid's. Next to no clicking. And for highs? Just adjust your tweeter control.

I personally don't play with my tweeter on though.

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have the very warm Eden 410XLT but someone mentioned Ashdown. I must say that every time I have auditioned Ashdown the term warm seems to jump right out of the cabinet. Unfortunately, Eden, Ashdown, SWR, Ampeg etc won't come at a Peavey price.

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Try the Peavey 410TXF (bottom ported).
    Great sound + low cost= Peavey.

Just my opinion. I'm very happy with my 410TXF, and I got it for $460.

good luck...

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im very happy with my Carvin RL 4x10 cab. Very warm sounding, and it didnt cost an arm and a leg like ampeg, swr and eden do.

12. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Im very happy with my Carvin RL 4x10 cab. Very warm sounding, and it didnt cost an arm and a leg like ampeg, swr and eden do. quote from Cassanova

Right on! Carvins do sound great. Got my vt4x10 used at a Carvin dealer for $250.00 Not a bad price, but the older series didnt have an adjustable horn like the RL series does.

13. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i think i saw one of those in a local music store here, i know it was a Carvin, but not sure of which model, it did have a tweeter in her though. I'll put my Carvin up against any SWR, Ampeg and Hartke out there. And will recomend them to anyone. I cant wait to order the 8x10 they make

15. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I meant that my vt410 had no "adjustable" tweeter. I believe also that the older models (including mine) had the grey tweeters, newer models have a red tweeter.

16. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Ampeg Classic 4x10 SVTHLN 500W
    I loveb it.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i was at that music store again today and it is an old vt, there is no adjustable tweeter, just a grey tweeter. sounds damn good too. and they only want $275 for it.

18. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    peavey cabs sound good, the 810 looks damn tempting to me, but i dunno, i want an 18 now...

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dude, settle with the purchases! You dont need 4 stacks!

20. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    angus, the great thing about being a musician is you can have all the gear you want , and it shouldnt matter to anyone as long as your happy..... if i want 2 stacks, 3, 4, 5 , or 6 its my money, and if it pleases me to have it all, then you should be just as happy...