1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warm Sounding Rig For Jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Gotsch, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Hey everyone. I'm looking for a really warm (not tube) rig, and I think what I'm looking for is a Subway D800+. I play mainly jazz, fusion, and funk. However, I'm wondering if there are any light (easily transportable), warm cabs out there or if the warmth of the cab doesn't matter as much because of the amp? I'm looking at a GK Neo 212 right now, and I play a Jazz.

73_Blazer and ELG60 like this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO, since your looking at the Subway D800+ you might as well consider the Subway Ultra-Lite Bass Cabinets.

MESA/Boogie®

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    When you say "for Jazz," do you mean you are playing Jazz, playing a Jazz bass, or both?

What amp and cab are you using now? How are you using it? How do you feel about it? Any effects/pedals?
    What strings do you use? Tell us more about your instrument—active or passive? Assuming a Jazz—pickups in 60's or 70's position?

Since you are considering a Subway 800+, what is it you like about it?

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    73_Blazer and Agosix like this.
  5. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    I play a 70s reissue passive MIM and I also play jazz as a genre. No pedals (so far), I use figerstyle a lot, pretty old GHS roundwounds for strings, but I’m looking at chrome flats.

So my amp is the big problem. When I gig, I’ve been lucky (so far) that the house has a good rig I can use, instead of my Peavey 110 practice amp (oof). I obviously want to upgrade from that. When I use it, I keep the treble flat, and boost the bass and mids at around 5:00, which can get decently warm, but it’s really darn weak.

6. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    IMHO I think you want to get warmth from your amp and/or electronics and clarity from your cab. No experience with the Subway but they get great reviews. I use a vintage P into a ToneHammer 500 and a couple of Berg CN cabs, sometimes adding a tad more warmth from an EBS Multi Comp in tube mode and/or a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes and/or a Southampton Fifth Gear. I set the gain on the OD's very low and on the VMT using the Blend so that I get a little warmth without any real grit. Running the Gain on the TH off and the Drive rolling off the very lows and the very highs. The Bergs are very clear and full and reproduce anything I put in them whether that be crystal clear or adding some warmth, wooliness or going further with mod, envelope or octave pedals in a variety of genres. So I've said it a ton of times, after your bass your cab is the most important thing in your signal chain and you should put your resources there first IMHO.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I often use an Acoustic Image combo amp for acoustic/jazzy type of playing. A lot of people think AI amps are only for acoustic bass, but they actually sound pretty good for electric bass, too. :)

Not totally sure they'd be loud enough for a funk/fusion gig, though.

burnunit likes this.
  8. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    If you're starting with a 1x10 practice amp, there certainly is room for improvement with lots of options. A D800+ into a GK Neo 2x12 certainly is a good option; I own both the D800+ and D800 and like them a lot. The EQ on the + is so flexible that it could pair with just about any cabinet, seemingly.

As for the cab, you may run into two schools of thought: A) one cab solution or B) a modular two cab solution with lightweight individual pieces. With the GK being a pretty light at 50 pounds, that strikes me as a good one cab option. If your gigs and modes of transportation vary in size/capacity, a pair of 1x12 cabs like the Subway 1x12 might be a better choice so you have the option to just bring one (if this will be your only rig).

9. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Great, thanks! I’ll check em out.

10. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    I thought about this, and I decided on a 2x12 bc I could add another amp if I needed to, as opposed to the twin 1x12s sucking up the ohms.

11. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Genz Benz, Tecamp, Aguilar would be my top 2x12s based on design/weight/quality.

But I imagine any name brand can would be fine for you.

I personally think a cab should provide clarity. And the amp or bass pickups should provide warmth.

12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    My main rig is a TH500 with a Berg CN212, I play anything (Jazz bass, PBass, Fodera, ...) in this and it is just perfect for me anyway.

13. Everyone will tell you their personal favorite, and I'm no exception, so...

Trickfish Bullhead 1k and TF110/TF112 cabs and be done with it. IMO, it's the perfect Jazz/Fusion/Funk rig. Trickfish is the house rig at Yoshi's and The Baked Potato, and used by the likes of Jimmy Haslip, Mike Pope (one of the partners in the company), Jerry Jemmott, etc.

Of course, I might be biased, but that's my recommendation.

14. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    If you go the Mesa D800/+ route, you can do 2 ohms, though. Then you can run three or four 8 ohm cabs, or two 4 ohm cabs.

15. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Markbass

16. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Warm? Most amps get warm after you play them for a while. Really opens up your possibility.

Texican, Frank77 and JKos like this.
  17. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Oh that’s true, I’m dumb. However, I feel like that would be a lot of amps to carry around.

18. SpruceApple

SpruceApple Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    The D800+ is a great choice for you IMHO. I just love this amp, lots of flexibility and great tones that are easy to dial in.

I also have GK Neo 212-II and Neo 112-II cabs and have been quite happy gigging with them for the past 5 years. However I recently acquired Subway 115 and 210 cabs and must say that I really prefer them to the GK cabs, they are warmer and smoother, particularly the 115. Also much more expensive.

19. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Agreed!!!

20. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    I really recommend the Chome flats. Lots of fundamental. Goes with a Fender like OJ at breakfast.