Warm Tone for cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeyhughes2003, May 5, 2005.

1. mikeyhughes2003

May 5, 2005
    Hey im an intermediate player who needs some advice from you seasoned pros....

Im after a noel redding/jpj type of sound and subsequently have kicked my laney 120watt combo to the curb, I am now after a head n cab combo to make my 60's/70's dreams come true. Can you suggest anything?

NB- im a poor student armed only with the old student loan so im after good quality second hand gear, just thought id give y'all the facts!

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The purist answer is probably "tubes and lots of them". A cheaper (and significantly more portable and lightweight) option might be to consider trying something like the Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I regularly use it to add some warmth to my tone - I'm often playing through fairly low-end or knackered amps or straight to the PA.

The only caveat is that I've found the results you get do vary from bass to bass - I'm pleased with how it affects the tone of my Sei 6 on all the amp setups I've tried but tested a few months ago with some other basses and didn't get such good results (although I didn't exhaustively fiddle to see if there were settings that brought out the best in them).

If you've still got the Laney, it might be cheaper to use that and a SABDDI rather than splashing out on a whole new rig!

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sometimes I see beat up 80s (so not new, not vintage) SVT 8x10 cabs for sale for next to nothing. Or wierd things like Ampeg B25s with the shallow 2x15s... you just have to dig around on the used scene and see whats around.

Tube heads are almost never cheap, so I'd focus on getting a classic sounding cab and then finding a cheap head to go with it.
  4. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    first off whats the budget? cheap bass rig to some guys is 1000$ where cheap to to a guy like me is 300$.