1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warm up before show?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by iwannalearnbass, Sep 28, 2009.

1. iwannalearnbass

iwannalearnbass

Apr 1, 2009
    I got my first every gig in two weeks and am slightly nervous. In particular, the first song on the set is the hardest for bass, so I'm afraid that without a warm up I'll have stiff fingers.

Do you guys normally warm up before shows or do you just march straight on stage and play? If so, where do you do this? I'd feel a bit stupid sitting in the bar with my unplugged bass doing finger exercises.

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I always warm up.

3. iwannalearnbass

iwannalearnbass

Apr 1, 2009
    Right, but where do you do this? Just sit in the corner with your bass?

4. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I will normally stretch my fingers, and then about 20 minutes before the show I will either go over a few of the songs I am doing, or just run a few random scales. Nothing big.

Do what you need to in order to make yourself comfortable. The biggest problem you will have will be with yourself and your nerves. Don't worry about disapointing to anyone. Play your show. If you are practiced up, and listen to the rest of the band you will do great.

Go ahead and realize that you will make a few mistakes. We all do. You will make a fret buzz, miss a few notes, and even play a couple wrong ones. However, no one will notice except you and a very few die hard musicians. Those that do notice will be forgiving. Those few that are critical likely suck in their own playing ability.

Good luck and have fun.

5. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    A warm up is for the hand muscles and body to get ready for what is to come. So rubbing them, and your forearms, gentle stretches, and just gently over-using them, like tapping your leg or a table or a bar will do fine if you feel embarassed about doing it on the bass in the bar.
    But i would find a warm up you can do and repeat, get to know this routine so if you do it one night and it feels wrong then you know that your hands are not ready to play like they did on other nights when all was well. 5 mins is good for a warm up as it is for a warm down(basicly the same as the warm up but without the slight over-use of the fingers). If you want some ideas let me know, i have many things that can be done.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I do slow movement exercises, I stretch my hands I usually(when possible) play scales, arpeggios and things like that.
    Bach's cello suites are also a great warm up.
    I warm up on the way to a gig as well as one doesn't necessarily need the instrument to do this.

7. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
  8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I always warm up my voice within 45 minutes of game time by sitting in my car and singing along with a cd that was made for lessons/warm up. I also stretch my neck and, calves and shoulders. I end up with "show neck" the next day as I tend to have moments of divine inspiration that find me thriving around and once I pulled a calf muscle on the first night of a mini tour.

I stretch my hands/forearms/wrists slowly against a wall palms up and then tops of hand against the wall - carpal tunnel type stretches.

I don't warm up on the bass directly, but I'm also not attempting flight of the bumblebee either.

Don't worry, everyone drops an occasional "live clam" onstage. Best to laugh and act like it didn't happen as typically you or your band will be the only ones that know.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I usually warm up with the first song or two I play but I'm lazy and don't play music that's very demanding. However, I highly recommend it if you can.