1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warm-up stretches (finger pickers)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tallicabassist0, Sep 27, 2008.

1. tallicabassist0

tallicabassist0

Feb 16, 2005
    do any of you do any warm up stretches on your finger picking hand to enhance your stamina before playing live?

i have recently started doing little stretching things on my wrist and fingers and noticed it helps

if you do, what kind of stretches do you do?

2. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I do when it's cold and i don't feel my hands warm enough.

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I tend to do scales , arpeggios etc, to warm up before most gigs.

4. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    not sure if this makes sense, but: i do a few plucks at the bridge, as hard as i can. afterwards, it makes playing with a light or medium touch effortless

kindof like if you warm up on upright, electric bass will feel effortless...or if you lift a really heavy weight, the lighter ones will feel easy. something like that.

5. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    forearm stretches for sure.

6. Start off by playing a scale from low E to high high G with slow quarter notes (40 bpm) and a light touch. Play each note 4 times and make sure volume and tone is consistent. Next, I do the same thing, but sixteenth notes at around 90-100 bpm and 16 times on each note, again with a very light touch.

This gets my blood flowing, my fingers working, and prevents me from playing at an unsustainable level the whole show.

For the fretting hand, I'll run chromatic scales, seventh chords up and down the neck, or ascending and descending thirds of a scale if my fingers are cold.