1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warm-ups

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lavaboi, Aug 25, 2019.

1. lavaboi

lavaboi

Aug 23, 2019
    How do you guys warm up before practicing?

I usually hit two 2 octave scales and then I play a melody I just got good at.

Right now the melody its Beautiful Love by Bill Evans

(you can get the scales I use here BTW)

Fergie Fulton likes this.
  2. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Fergie Fulton, mambo4 and lavaboi like this.
  3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    A couple of easy scales is all it takes for me. You'll note that many people do some extended physical things and perhaps that is necessary for them and/or the music they play.
    When I was a brass player, I attended a clinic by Mike Vax (then lead trumpet for Stan Kenton). He said that part of his warm-up was playing every note that his instrument was capable of playing. I find that to be very helpful on bass too.
    While different instruments and voice may have different demands on the body to produce the sounds safely and effectively, I find that good warm-ups are more mental than physical. Getting your mind and body working together to make music is, IMHO, more important that stretches and other things, although if one feels they are necessary to avoid injury, it is best to do them as much as you need.

4. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    May sound strange but one of my warm ups is the Bare Necessties from the Jungle Book. Excellent study of the maj scale.

• Scales are good. Nice general warm up. Starting mid neck and working your way down.
    • Arpeggios the same way.
    • Something for dexterity. The famous “Spider Exercise” is a favorite.
    • Something for right hand speed.

5. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I bust open iTunes on the computer, eq most of the mid and lower bass out, boost the lowest bass slider so the kick still pokes out, and play some easier tunes.

6. First I stretch, then warm up with some scales and play (Pink Floyd) Money as my warm up song.

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    To just warm-up you fingers a couple of good exercise on vertical crossing plus some arpeggios usually is good enough!
    If you need more help just let me know.
    Ciao!

8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
  9. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If it's just practice, then I just start playing what I'm gonna practice. Why waste time? You might as well warm up on what you need to work on.

Magthegrate likes this.
  10. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I play "potrait of tracy".

11. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I have the worst warm up routine in the world - I just noodle on a pentatonic across all five stings to loosen up my fingers for about 30 seconds.

12. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    I go off Janek Gwidzala's the practice routine, a lot of the etudes and passages make great warm ups.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I warm up my car by driving it. I warm up my musical capabilities by playing music.

14. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    I was band leader so most gigs it was a quick dialing in of the amp, a run through of some lick that I just learned, check 1-2 on my mic, make sure everyone else was set, and gooooo.

15. AFRO

AFRO

Aug 29, 2010
    Stretch finger routine, Rub forearms down, shake hands out. repeat.

Then, I kind of simultaneously stretch the heal of my hand and fingers (in a fan shape) back and forth and up and down the back of the neck ... this heats up the neck somewhat. I really dig the heal of my hand into the base of the neck (no bolt on thankfully, so I can go all the way to the body of the bass) and rub the inner C of the low/high parts of the bass (where the body meets the neck) again heating up the actual instrument.

Then I tune.

From there, I usually start with (first position 4 finger/box) Chromatic B String -> E String-> A string, D string... -> down to last fret on the G string, then go ALL THE WAY back to lowest B.

Re-shake hands and roll wrists, rub forearms and routine stretch again, then do the "chromatic strings" only with quick-slides back and forth instead of individual 4-per-fret fingering and I am golden.

Fergie Fulton and lavaboi like this.
  16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I like the 25 Daily Exercises for Saxophone by Klosé. Yeah, they're meant for saxophone, but they're great technical exercises for any instrument. Just the first exercise has you going through all the modes of a scale. Tough, but rewarding. Playing a bit of those makes my fingers limber and ready.

Fergie Fulton and lavaboi like this.
  17. lavaboi

lavaboi

Aug 23, 2019
    never heard of it. Ill look it up.

18. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I drink a couple beers.

Fergie Fulton and enricogaletta like this.
  19. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I play every day standing up with strap on. I am 54 and have done it since age 12. Except for 10 years when I was a truckers.
    My gigs are few and far between but I just gigged Saturday as a sub.
    My practice regiment really paid off.
    30 songs and maybe a dozen mistakes.

I honestly believe learning song after song is the best thing (for me).

As for warming up, I can play fast songs right out of the box.

Don’t know if that’s helpful or not but best of luck to you.