warmer, softer MM pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Aug 9, 2001.

1. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    OK.. so i own a carvin with the MM-looking pickup.. .bad idea I know. I've decided to do what I should have done earlier and just buy a stingray 5, because that's the sound I think im going for. That leaves me with the carvin, a really nicely built bass with crappy electronics. I don't want to put a MM replacement pickup in there because i'll already have the stingray, so I would like to know if there are any pickups made to fit in the MM spot that would give me a nice warm tone, something (anything) different than the musicman sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Not sure if it matters but the carvin is a walnut/maple LB-75 Thanks for any help.
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you might try the bartolini pickup that lakland uses. its not really a musicman pickup, but i think two of there 94j's in a musicman shell. try out a lakland with the bridge pickup soloed and see what you think. it might be the warm sound you're looking for. the sound was so warm and un-musicman like that i sold my lakland 5594
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I second the Bartolini suggestion. They are indeed not like a MM.

You gonna leave the original Carvin single coil in the neck position?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'll third the Bartolini. I was considering getting one for a custom being built so I asked several of the big bass retailers in the US. I decided NOT to get the Bartolini MM because they described it as "warmer, rounder......more behaved sounding." That wasn't what I was looking for.

I may be wrong but I think Bartolini offers them in ceramic and in alnico, like Basslines, (the one I bought). If so, you want the alnico for your sound. If they don't offer it in alnico, the ceramic would still fit the description.
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    thanks for the help.. so bartolini it is... i've heard that the carvin bridge pickup (j99) is alright so i'll probably leave it there for at least a little while. I'll replace the pickup and the preamp for now, and see what kind of sound that gives me.
    Thanks again.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I never discourage anyone from getting the J99. Not because I think it's so great, but it appeals to many people. And, for me, it's satisfactory although I'd like to replace it someday. It has extreme single-coil characteristics - very pure, very "scooped," and powerful.