1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warmer sound: Fender P or J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parksung, Apr 21, 2009.

1. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    Is the J bass typically warmer than the P?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not a realistic question. Warmth depends on strings, touch, specific pieces of wood, EQ, the amp, etc. It has almost nothing to do with the shape of the bass. I guess you could say that soloing the bridge pickup of a J is not usually a warm sound, but that's only one of the many J voices.

3. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    I'd say the P.

4. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Flatwounds.

5. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Definitely the P-Bass. Those wide, squat coils will always produce a fatter and midrangier sound than the Jazz's taller and narrower pickups. That's just physics, y'dig?

The others are right here though;flatwound strings and playing with your thumb (plucking, not slapping) or fingers (vs. a pick) will produce a warmer tone, even on a Jazz bass.

6. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    With the right technique and EQ and thermostat settings you'll probably sound pretty warm on either.

7. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't know about warmer, but seems in the past many reggae players dug the J bass, favoring the neck pickup of course. Those cats know warm. ;)

But personally I think Ps are cool and they can go plenty warm too. :cool:

8. My Jazz is warmer than ANY P-bass i have played... Whats a bit of a bugger really... as i want the more aggressive sound of the P.

9. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Paradoxically , the P bass is a warmer sounding instrument but also more aggressive sounding

10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    the P tends to sound richer in the low-medium mids, but the Jazz (with both pickups full on) tends to have more ultra-deep low end... so it depends what you mean by warmth: creamy low mids or filling beefy bass

11. Bass Club Mark

Bass Club Mark

Dec 21, 2005
    Bass Club Chicago
    Warm means different things to different people, but usually when people say warm they mean fat or richer in the lower freq's. In that case, it would have to be the P, bc of the pickups. The J pickups are more hi mid focused and the P's are more low mid focused. Don't forget you can get double stacked J pickups to get more lower freq's out of the J. Single coil J's can also be tuned differently to sound warm, so check with diff pickups from diff manufacturers. I would also lean twords an alder body w/ a rosewood neck over an ash body and maple neck.

12. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    My P is warm

13. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    They both sound great and both are very versatile for tones ranging from deep to grindy.
    The J is a brighter (more treble) sounding bass with an inherent mid scoop (with both pickups on) yet in some ways the J is mellower sounding (to me).
    The P has more of that certain un-scooped gutty punch.
    Not really sure how you mean warm. If you roll some treble off the Jazz, it's pretty "warm". On the other hand, the P is kind of a ballsier sounding bass (more aggressive mids and lows).
    I guess I'll say P.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    With the right amp, any bass can sound warm.

15. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Reggae cats also have crazy amp systems, which add to it!

And most importantly, it's mostly them that bring out the bottom!

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Both the P and J can sound very warm but IMO it's a slightly different kind of warm with the J sounding more "blooming" and the P sounding a bit "thumpier" if that makes any sense.

The amp can be tweaked to get warmer tones with either but for me those two qualities still come through.

17. gratt

gratt

Oct 13, 2007
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    familyman rocked a very simple amp setup in almost every classic studio one upsetters/wailers recording to date.. he was all about technique and utilizing the sound of his actual instrument (less reliance on the amp, very low gain, near-flat settings).

albeit, i think his style has changed with the technology.. but those recordings don't lie :p

18. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Flatwounds on a P

19. Agreed.

You'll almost never get a more thumpy, warm tone than you will with a P strung with nickel flats.

That's not to say that you can't get a warm tone out of a Jazz, though.

20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Have you ever tried tapewound strings?