Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmer Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dragonetti11, May 28, 2004.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I currently have the new flexocores and am wondering how much the originals will help the sound. Guts would probably sound good but they are to expensive and take to much to keep up. I play Orchestral music and am looking for a warmer orchestral sound. The sound I have for solo is quite nice though. My bass is fairly new. Thanks

conte2music likes this.
  2. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Guts are tough to bow- How about Obligatos? I've had them before on my ply- They're warm, easy to bow, easy on the hands, and good for pizz playing as well...

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Original Flexocor A & E are thicker/darker sounding than the '92s.
    On the other hand, the Original Flexocor D & G are brighter sounding than the '92s.
    If I was playing orchestral only, I'd use Jargar strings.
    And they're available in three gauges. (the Dolces are thin enough for solo-tuning)
    They're the warmest steel strings available.

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I've never seen anyone bow gut strings on a bass here, either in a class or a concert. But, I did get to see Yo Yo Ma perform with some chamber orchestra from Holland on PBS a couple of weeks ago. To me that performance is the most eloquently stated argument I've ever heard for the success of modern strings.

5. For the warmest (but not muddy) string set,IMO, I perfer mix set between Original Flatchrom G,D,A and ์New Flexocore (strak) E. This set is good for pizz and bow on my bass.

6. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    What gauge for the Jargars would be best for orchestral use? Does the guage change the sound? Original Flatchrome is just like the original flexicores right?

7. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Depends on your needs and preference!
    I think the Fortes are better for jazz because they have more sustain, and the Dolces may be prefered for slap bass, or solo tuning.
    So the regulars (mediums) would probably be a good choice for orchestral work.
    Right!
    Same string, just selected with a closer tolerance range.
    G string is very bright, D string is nice, A string is thick and dark, E string is boomy and muddy.

8. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Okay, I got the two strings I ordered 1 Jargar medium G and one Original Flexocor G. I noticed that the Jargar was much warmer than the Flexocor at first, but it was quite thin sounding mostly volume wise for orchestral use (and compared to my '92's). The Flexocor was brighter than my usual G and was a bit metallic. I suspect the original will warm up quite a bit so I will leave it on for a while. Do you think the Jargar would warm up too if I played it in a while? I think I would like to try the Jargar fortes since they shoud have a little more sound to them and a little warmer and darker too. How do the Jargar fortes A and E compare to the '92s/Originals? Why do some people hate the '92's? On my bass they are quite nice, warm and thick sounding Probably better than the original, but I am not sure about that yet.
    Any orchestral player here ever use Jargar forte?
    Also does anyone want to buy a Jargar Medium G for $20 new its $24????
    thanks

9. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think there's a problem at Jargar since the production went back to normal, about two years ago. (the production stopped for several months when many workers in the final string production stages left the company)
    In the past months, I bought G strings in Dolce, Medium and Forte gauges and they all sounded thin and weak.
    I've complained to Jargar about that.
    I suggest you put the rubber ring filter (it's inside the wax paper pouch) on the string to mellow it.
    (goes between the string and bridge, the string touching the bridge through the ring hole)
    Like every other strings, they'll get deeper as they age.
    Thicker/muddier.
    Then why don't you stick with them, if I may ask?
    Since about 8 years, I'm playing on EUBs only, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
    The '92s give a very uneven response on the 3 instruments I used them.
    The G is very nice, actually probably my favorite steel G string.
    The D is thumpy, dull, lifeless.
    The A is not bad, but lacks some fundamental.
    The E is weak.

11. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I have sort of settled on a '92 G, original D, original A and '92 E. My E string is bugging me though. I like the deep, thick, powerful sound I get from the A but the E doesn't have any of that it seems dead and very unlike the A. My '92s are about 1 year old. Do you think that just getting a new E and G should help? I believe they are medium gague and precision61 metioned he used a Stark for his E. I afraid about trying the Original E but who knows?

12. Actually, I can feel the difference between the stark and Medium 92' flexocore E. The Stark is more tone and power for pizz and bow (No dead like medium). I have this set on my carved bass about one and half year thru. But, its tone is still good to my ears.