Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warmer tone on my christopher

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by flint, Nov 8, 2004.

1. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    I have a 3/4 christopher ply that I want a warmer the tone from. Currently I have d'addario helicore hybrids, and the tone is metallic, especially the G. I know it's partially the nature of this bass, but I think I can improve it.

I bow and piz, orchestral and jazz, about 50/50.

I have done the search through past posts, and the FAQ, and have come to a couple of choices to experiment with:

1. superflexibles
    2. obligato
    3. flexocore-med.

any thoughts or other suggestions?

thanks

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would go with Obligatos. They are one of the best "hybrid" strings and are decently priced. I think you will loose volume Pizz with the Flexocores, although they are nice arco strings.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    This might not add to warmth, but if you haven't already, make sure you get the tailpiece coathanger thing replaced with a cord or cable, and get the stock bridge worked on. My luth shaved down the feet thickness and made the bridge a little thinner. Both really opened my chrissy up beyond what string selections can do. My bass initially came set up with the price I paid, but the luth did more detailed work the second time and he fixed it up to tailor to my playing I guess (mostly pizz).

4. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Obligatos made my Christopher sound like a different (better) bass. I absolutely hated the Helicore hybrids that came on my bass as an "upgrade" string. They sounded so metallic that I thought that I made a mistake on the bass and considered trading it. Old piano wire would have sounded better.

I am now 8 months into the Obligato and it seems that the 'A' string might be loosing some of its tone. While in no hurry, I am starting to think about new strings and will probably try something different because I can't stand not to experiment.

That being said, I love the Obligato's sound and feel that the $120 was well spent. There is plenty to be read about the Obligatos on this site. The only general complaint you will find is the "year or less" life span.

I may do HDiddy's set up before I plunk down money on strings of any kind.

5. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    Thanks for the replies. I have had a pretty good set up on the chrissie, but I think it could be coming up on an adjustment. I dont think the tailpiece wire has been replaced, but the nut is lowered and the bridge sits well.

I think I'll try the obligatos. Everything about them seems to suggest that they would warm the tone. Of course I just found out I am putting all new brakes on my bass hauler, so I may have to wait a couple of weeks for the $$$.

6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I switched from Helicore Hybrids to Obligatos. You'll notice an immediate difference because the Obligatos will have lower tension (watch for new buzzes). When the Obli's break in, you'll really hear a difference. Mine are about 9 months old and just starting to lose some tone, but it's not that bad at all - I'm going to keep them on for a while.

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Do you fellow Chrissy owners find that higher tension strings don't sound so good on your bass? Personally, I had spiro's on mine and I didn't like them. The Corelli's and Kolsteins have been working well. Seems like we all have the 304T Busetto Hybrid model.

8. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Diddy,
    I've only had the helicores and the Obligatos on my bass. What has been your favorite string so far, and which one has bowed the best? I have zero bowing chops and would like to start working on them. Perhaps a string investment would inspire me.

Thanks . . .

9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    BUDGETTONE, if you want an easy string to bow, get some Corelli 370F. I liked them alot! Off the bat I liked how my arco sounded, but my technique is lacking and it definitely shows on a more difficult string, esp. Spiros. It's not as hard on the new Kolsteins. I had the Spiro's on for a couple of weeks. Tho they didn't get that much of a chance to settle, it went from being too thin when new to too dark for me.

I've only had the Kolstein Heritages on for a couple of days. Yesterday they were sounding kinda nasal doing pizz, but the nasalness made the arco sound really nice and rich. Today the pizz is not so nasal for some reason. Other than that, they seem to have a darker sound than the Corelli's but I want to say it has a fuller sound. Kinda punchy too. But again, it hasn't even been a full week yet but if it gets much darker then I might go back. Or maybe just swap out the A, D, G since I like the Heritage E.

Yeah, I'd definitely try the Corelli's if you don't like the Ebolagatos. I like the brightness and clear tone of the Corelli's. If you haven't started to arco yet, do it on your Ebola's now so you can compare if you decide to switch.

10. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've had my Chrissie for nearly two years. During that time I've been able to try 6 different string types. In terms of getting a warm sound, my favorite would be Obligatos with Helicore Hybrid at the bottom of the heap.

Nothing new here, but it's worth mentioning that Corellis are a very close second to Oblis. I prefer the 380XF over the 370s, not as thin as 370s and not as bright.