Warmer tone than my schecter gives

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cnl83, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    I have a schecter stiletto diamond series 4 stringer. He has the stock schecter pickups. It has an awesome TOOL tone, but thats all it got. The tone is kinda punchy and doesnt have as much @ss as I would like. I want a warmer tone, and was thinking about changing the pickups to achieve this. What are some suggestions?

Im active with two humbuckers!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Instead of changing pups, why not try a tube emulating preamp pedal between your bass and amp. It would give you more variety.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Unfortunately "as much @ss as I would like" does nothing to explain what you really are looking for or needing.

4. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    My current setup has a punchy, trebly, sound to it. I dont seem to have as much low as I should have. I need a warmer tone...

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    What are you playing it through? How do you have the bass and amp EQ'd? What strings on the bass?

If you spend a couple minutes filling out your profile it will help people to help you.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I've been able to get sufficiently warm tones on my Schecter. Heavier strings, EQ more neck pup, boost bass and a little bit of your mids, and then play over the neck pickup.

7. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    I play through a GK 400RB head, and a hartke cab. Not to many adjustments on my head. I have GHS bassboomer strings.

8. cnl83

cnl83

Jan 30, 2007
    Medium; .045, .065, .085, .105

9. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Changing the preamp might make a bigger difference than changing the pickups. You can get an Aguilar or a Sadowsky outboard preamp (its a stomp box-type preamp) if you don't want to modify your bass. The preamp in Schecters is sometimes pretty cheap, although most nicer Schecters have an EMG BT preamp installed in them, which is pretty nice.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021