Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"warmest" combo there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superfly, Nov 7, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Ok, your opinions on the "warmest", "motown" sounding combo amp being made today?
    Of course it needs to be powerful enough to use at a medium sized Church or small club.
    I know the type of bass and strings etc. have alot to do with it, but I'm looking for a combo that has the warmest smoothest lows out there regardless of the bass used. Thanks!

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    An Ashdown ABM with a 15" speaker.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno. Try a Bassman 100 with the 15.

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Ampeg B-15R...

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've heard Glockenklangs are warm.

6. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Some people are still in denial after last Tuesday huh?
    Moderator- Sorry but I didn't start it.

7. I'm on probation on TB. I got in trouble after last tuesday.

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I played through a combo amp recently that I rather liked. I won't claim to know a lot about them (other TBers please chime in) and just so you'll know where I'm coming from tone-wise, I'm an aguilar user. Nemesis (Eden) make a 4/10 and a 2/12 combo. They both weigh about 60 lbs. and have 320 watts and while I only tried the 4/10, I gotta tell you I liked the way it sounded: I would consider one for a back-up. The 2/12 would probably sound even better. It is my understanding that Eden had dependability problems with the ealier (250 watt) versions but supposedly that has been taken care of. Having said that, the same store has an older 250 watt 4/10 they have been using as a rental unit with no problems. The newer ones list for about $1050 so probably about $800 street.

9. How about the Mesa WalkAbout Scout as a combo or, better yet IMHO a Mesa WalkAbout with an Aggie GS112? Both are warm and very musical.

10. Yes. I love the eden and nemises combos. I think the 210 moves a lot of air and is cool looking. I guess I would pu that in the 700-ish category. The ede cxc series are very warm, especailly with that preamp and the "warm" button.

I'm going to the beach. I can't believe how much time I waste here. :cool:

11. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Hey angelopb, no problem. I extend out the "peace pipe" to you. Lets get back to talking about bass stuff. :)

12. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Very impressed with my GENZ BENZ NEO 400. It can get very loud but has the depth and warmth that you are looking for. You sound like you after old school RnB tones and this is the nearest I have heard. Tried a lot of much more expensive stuff (EA etc) and I think this GB is one of the most musical I have encountered.

It is not small, it moves a lot of air, but it IS light.

I pair it up with another cab for loud gigs and it is fantastic with lots of headroom. It is based on GENZ BENZ 600 head

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    My vote would be to get the Ampeg B100R. Warm looks and tone. Should be enough for a medium room-if you need more, use the line out to the PA.

Lync

14. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    +1 for the Ampeg B-15R

15. Anything with tubes and no tweeter.

16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Believe it or not, I have a 1971 Ampeg B15N and I think that the B100R is a better overall amp.

The tone is similar, but the B100R can go much louder without farting out.

Lync

17. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    +1

18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

19. Nevertheless I can highly recommend the Glockenklang 'The Passenger' 1x12" (+tweeter) combo amp. Warmest sounding amp in the world without any tubes... :)