Warmest Digital Octave Down

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by randysmojo, May 30, 2018.

1. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I'm looking for the warmest, most natural bass like tone octave down that can track very low, as in the Low E or lower. I used to have an EBS Octabass pedal that sounded great for my needs, but wouldn't track low enough. What I'm using it for is to keep the original note full volume and just barely add in a touch of sub-octave to fatten it up in the mix for certain things. Don't need chording ability as I wouldn't use an octave while playing any chords.

2. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Have you thought of Broughton Synth Voice?

It is analog, but it is reported to track very well even in th low notes:

Synth Voice

jazznrick likes this.
  3. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I haven't seen the Broughton before. Looks like it might be a great choice. Don't know how hard one would be to find.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Polyphonic is still good to have with a digital octave even if you're not playing chords as it is less likely to be tricked and glitch. I'd suggest trying the Sub n' Up, there are a lot of different variations available. I think you'll find at least one that you like.

5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Josh usually put back inventoy on friday morning. He builds his pédales in Small batches.

6. I wouldn't say it's warm, but I found a used micro POG and use it at times how you describe. It's not glitchy or synthy but it gives a nice solid octave down, that sounds good playing live. Following it with dirt sounds very full.

7. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Mooer Tender Octaver (the first version without the toggle switch) gets my vote now and always. So good it’s illegal (technically)

Low84 and MoeTown1986 like this.
  8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    POG2 as it has the LPF to tame those highs as well as a detune if you want to fatten things up a bit.

Rumble Thunder likes this.
  9. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I'm not really needing to take any highs. Just want my original signal at full volume and an octave down just barely there to fatten it up.

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It’s not digital, but I really like my Octron 3 - and this is after going through just about every octave out there.

11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I’d go Synth Voice as well. If you just use the sub-octave and clean signals, it’s the best tracking octave (analog or digital) that I have ever heard.

12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Apparently more in stock tomorrow

Synth Voice

For your needs you don’t even need the Synth part but you may find it useful at some later time.

13. I have one on my board, too. Fantastic pedal. I use it in "uptown funk" to cop the horn runs at the end of the song. Sounds AWESOME!

14. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Line 6 M5
    New Mutron Octavider
    BYOC mutron clone, Divided Octave
    Broughton Synth Voice
    These all can track to a low E in most circumstances, with a very “warm” tone available.

15. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    I love the octave down on the bass whammy

LSMFT6 likes this.
  16. If you want digital but warm enough to compete with analog octavers, try the solo octave down voice ipon the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. It can be picked up really cheaply used and has a few other great sounds in it too, but my favourite was that solo octave.

17. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    CameronJohnson,
    The only Digitechs I could find were all over $100. They used to be way cheaper years ago.

18. Ah. I guess I’m coming from a UK market perspective. Still, considering all the sounds in that thing, $100 isn’t bad at all.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021