Warmest Roundwound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassworship1, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Looking to mix it up a little bass string wise. What are some of the warmest roundwounds with smooth tone and subdued highs. Looking for a string that has a great B string too.

2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Have never tried the B string, but TI Power Bass strings become very warm after some use. Almost flatwound-sounding.

Fondsdale likes this.
  3. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    The warmest I ever tried were TI Jazz rounds. Of course, most TI strings are warm, both Power bass and the Super-alloys.
    The LaBella Deep Talkin' rounds are pretty warm to my ears too, but still very capable of a gritty sound if you dial up some highs.
    DR Sunbeams I guess are warm as well, all these strings sound very different however.
    You are probably going to get all kinds of suggestions as it is not a very specific question, as well as 'don't you want to try out some pressure-wounds/flats/tapes?', have fun!

campbems likes this.
  4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    dunlops get really warm after they settle down, haven't tried the la bellas yet or the pat wilkins ones

Al Kraft and campbems like this.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I haven't tried every brand of roundwounds that are out there, but of the brands I've tried, I'd say GHS Boomers and Infeld Superalloys have the warmest tone. Even when they're brand new, both brands have a certain punch in the low mids. They Boomers are much less expensive than the Superalloys, but the Superalloys have an incredible lifespan, that I haven't found in any other brand I've tried.

6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Sunbeams are the warmest of the ones I've tried with Dunlop Nickle coming in a close second. For me this is based on strings that have a few hours on them - out of the package tone varies a lot and is not necessarily a good indictor IME.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021