Warmest Woofer cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I was wondering what's the warmest or creamiest sounding woofer cab. I'm looking for a 15" or bigger speaker that has 400w at least and about 800w most.

I think I have it narrowed down to the Ampeg SVT-18 and the Eden D118XL. Both are the perfect wattage (500w) but I have yet to try either of them. Though I'm trying to find them and play them, could you give your opinoins on either of these cabs?
  2. All I know is the Eden D-215XLT makes me feel warm AND (!) creamy inside! I'd say go for that.
  3. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Btw, this woofer cab is going to go with my GK Neo212 which is rated at 600w and 105dB SPL
    Is it a bad idea putting a woofer cab with this? It has an alright low end but I want something warmer and fuller.
    I'm wondering if a woofer cab would kill the GK's punchiness and its tone.
  4. chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    I find that folded horn cabs tend to have the warmest response, at the cost of quite a bit of articulation.

My sunn 215bh is super warm... and impractically large.
  5. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    hmmm... has anyone tried this cab?
  6. chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    The practical thing to do would be to drag your amp and cab to a bunch of stores and try out any 15s and 18s you can. This will give you a good idea of how warm you want to be vs. how practical you need to be.
  7. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well, i guess I don't really need a better lowend response. But I do want a warmer and fatter lowend. Could it be my amp set-up? I'm running the cabs with a 2001RB. Maybe find a tubey preamp to run the signal through?
    Man, now I'm getting confused.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IME it's hard to get "warmer" than the aguilar series of 12" cabinets. you may find thatan aggie 212 with your exisiting cabinet, (or on its own). is what you're looking for.
  9. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The 2x12 is an awesome cab. I got to try one with a DB 750 and it was amazing.
  10. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Any other comments? The aggie cab is a likely possibility. I think i better start saving some more.
  11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    sounds like you might be a good candidate for Acme cabs. I don't know that it would match the output of your GK cab though. The Acme b2 I played through definitely sounded super warm and fat, and they're not too pricey either. other than that, I had an aguilar GS15, and that was a great cab, really warm.

As for the ampeg and eden 18's, if you're not looking to beef up the low end of your sound substantially, I would go another route. 18's are awesome if you're looking to add lots of deep bass, but otherwise, they can be impractical, and acoustically challenging, and there may be better ways to get the sound you're looking for.

That being said, I found the ampeg 18 warmer than the eden.
  12. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Meyer Sound USW-1P 2x15 powered sub!!
  13. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Acmebass.com LowB2. Goes deeper and has a more natural sound than any other box I have heard (Aguilar, Ampeg, Eden, Hartke, H-K, PV, SWR, Trace, - I'm forgetting something).
  14. fqr

Apr 14, 2003
  15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    You might want to consider older Mesa Boogie Diesel series cabs. I had a 215 that was amazing sounding, surprising highs but strongest in the low mids. I had to sell it, it didn't reproduce the low A very well and I wanted super lows.

I wish I hadn't clicked on that Cerwin Vega link. I had an old Vega folded horn, sounded great but developed a buzz due to its age. I think good stuff should be heavy. It's bass darnit. I figure I'm in a band, not a one man show, if we can't work together offstage to get the equipment together we can't work very well onstage.
  16. Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    A'men to that!!!

For the longest time I thought I was the only person who thought so.
  17. I would get a Gallien-Krueger Neo1x15.