Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warming up my Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jan 6, 2003.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I am currently using a Spector NS2000-Q4 as my main bass. I really like the way the EMG-HZs sound but I'm not too crazy about the preamp. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to warm up the sound of this bass. I've thought about the Aguilar 18v preamps, like they use in the Chezc models, but I don't know if this will accomplish what I'm going for. Has anyway else used one of these to warm up the sound of their Korean Spector?

Dirk

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, ive heard of people doing that. the HZ are probly not the problem, they sound great. Popping a 18 volt in there like the czech models seemed to make one persons i know more hot,,,maybe it did warm up his tone, he uses alot of high end. but i don't know if you CAN warm up a spector. they are made to have that "sizzle" after all. Maybe if you gutted the thing.....

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Just posted this in another thread, but I think if you wire in a second 9v battery in series to the tone circuit, you'll be more than happy with the sound of that bass!!!:D

I did this for $2 instead of spending God knows how much on an Aguilar...much happier for it!

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i had a ssd bass (staurt spector bass)
    and i made it 18 volts. sounds much better.
    but if you still don't want it.
    i will buy it from you.
    they are still using the btc right?

steve

5. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    RevGroove-i'd like to try this on my spector too but i'm not too hot with electronics could you give us a diagram and explanation on how to wire a second 9V in? thanks!

6. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    FYI, the 18v Aguilar preamp costs about $100.....cost me $40 to get it wired in, as I am an electroics klutz....made a huge difference in my older Czech, I bet it'd do the same for your Spector...but then again, $2 to wire in a second 9v is a helluva lot cheaper :)

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Here's the URL for the site I someone sent me about this...go for it man!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mgollihur/emgmod.html

:D

8. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Alright, series mode, how to do this?

I think it'd be:
    one side goes to Pos. on bat A
    one side goes to Neg. on bat B
    link bat A Neg and bat B Pos

am I wrong at thinking this? (its 12:18AM)

9. All this "super-charge your Spector" info is great. I've got a piece of crap Korean model NS2000Q5 that I'll probably tweak.

My question is this :
    at a local story the other day I saw 2 used 5 string neck-thru Czech models NS 5 CRFM I think (one blue stain / one black stain) that looked to be identical.

The black has gold hardware, gold tunning knobs, d dot inlays, and is priced at $899
    The blue has gold hardware, black knobs, the "good" inlays, and is priced at $699

What am I missing ? Is one a bastard of some kind or do the Czech's make the Professional Series with dot inlays ??

Enlighten me please so I can make an informed purchase. Mucho Grasyass

10. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    thanks RevGroove I'll try it this weekend!