1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warming up my Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jan 6, 2003.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I am currently using a Spector NS2000-Q4 as my main bass. I really like the way the EMG-HZs sound but I'm not too crazy about the preamp. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to warm up the sound of this bass. I've thought about the Aguilar 18v preamps, like they use in the Chezc models, but I don't know if this will accomplish what I'm going for. Has anyway else used one of these to warm up the sound of their Korean Spector?

Dirk

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, ive heard of people doing that. the HZ are probly not the problem, they sound great. Popping a 18 volt in there like the czech models seemed to make one persons i know more hot,,,maybe it did warm up his tone, he uses alot of high end. but i don't know if you CAN warm up a spector. they are made to have that "sizzle" after all. Maybe if you gutted the thing.....

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Just posted this in another thread, but I think if you wire in a second 9v battery in series to the tone circuit, you'll be more than happy with the sound of that bass!!!:D

I did this for $2 instead of spending God knows how much on an Aguilar...much happier for it!

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i had a ssd bass (staurt spector bass)
    and i made it 18 volts. sounds much better.
    but if you still don't want it.
    i will buy it from you.
    they are still using the btc right?

steve

5. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    RevGroove-i'd like to try this on my spector too but i'm not too hot with electronics could you give us a diagram and explanation on how to wire a second 9V in? thanks!

6. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    FYI, the 18v Aguilar preamp costs about $100.....cost me $40 to get it wired in, as I am an electroics klutz....made a huge difference in my older Czech, I bet it'd do the same for your Spector...but then again, $2 to wire in a second 9v is a helluva lot cheaper :)

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Here's the URL for the site I someone sent me about this...go for it man!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mgollihur/emgmod.html

:D

8. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Alright, series mode, how to do this?

I think it'd be:
    one side goes to Pos. on bat A
    one side goes to Neg. on bat B
    link bat A Neg and bat B Pos

am I wrong at thinking this? (its 12:18AM)

9. All this "super-charge your Spector" info is great. I've got a piece of crap Korean model NS2000Q5 that I'll probably tweak.

My question is this :
    at a local story the other day I saw 2 used 5 string neck-thru Czech models NS 5 CRFM I think (one blue stain / one black stain) that looked to be identical.

The black has gold hardware, gold tunning knobs, d dot inlays, and is priced at $899
    The blue has gold hardware, black knobs, the "good" inlays, and is priced at $699

What am I missing ? Is one a bastard of some kind or do the Czech's make the Professional Series with dot inlays ??

Enlighten me please so I can make an informed purchase. Mucho Grasyass

10. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    thanks RevGroove I'll try it this weekend!