Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warming up the ol' left hand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Hi,
    I'm starting to get some worryingly RSI-esque pains in my fretting hand. Just on my left index finger knuckle (near the base), it starts to feel a bit sorta weird/tight, and hurts a little bit once in a while.

Anyway - warming up and warming down. How would I go about doing it? Just playing something I can play easily slowly then speeding up gradually? Opposite for warming down?

Thanks for any help!

Mark.

2. I'd take a look at your technique first. You could be playing in a way that damages your hand.

3. Yeah, I just started learning Moonlight Sonata and I've been playing it a bit too hard with the left-hand notes (specifically the C# and the B at the beginning with my index finger), so I think I might have mildly strained my finger.

Anyway, I just wanted to know how to warm-up just to help prevent injury in future, really...

Mark.

4. What I've always done to warm-up is just playing simple scales up and down. They're great warmups. Gets your hand and fingers both moving and stretching, just slowly increase speed as you get warmed up. Then, do the exact opposite to "cool down" after done with the gig.