Warmoth 5 string owners....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I'm thinking of building a Warmoth Deluxe 5 string, probably swamp ash body and maple/maple neck. With Sadowsky J pu's and preamp.

Does anyone have any experience with one? Specifically the strength of the B string?

I'm playing a Skyline 55-02 now and love the B, but not the 35" scale.

I don't want to make the switch to Warmoth unless the B will be good too.

2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I think the leetness of the B string would depend on how you assemble the bass and the choices of stuff you use to build it....
  3. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Oh, thanks! That's so helpful! :spit:

...leetness..... :rolleyes:
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    After scale length and string diameter, the stiffness of the neck appears to affect the 'floppiness' of the B string most. Fender V's are supposed to be unplayably floppy, (if you go by majority opinions, some of which seem to be parrotted and not derived from playing...)

I replaced my original, blown up, Fender V neck with a Warmoth maple/maple, and wow, what a difference. The neck is very stable, has held it's orignial adjustment through the funky Oregon weather, and has a tight B, using a .130 D'Addario XL... I love it!

5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a very tight B string on my cheesy Brice fiver....

it's all in the tension of the string.

i have never really understood: yes, 35" will give you more tension, but so will higher tension strings
  6. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Carvin : 34" Scale----> FLOPPY A$$ B STRING! (the tapewounds improves it but still VERY FLOPPY)
    Spector Legend 6: 35" scale ---> Tight pronounced articulate B string

Yes scale length obviously affects it but so do MANY other components which I,m not even qualified to try to discuss. I think however in the end it'll come down to who/how it's assembled.. well prety much what Fire said... I think there are alot of 34" with good B's so it'll depend on how its put together/components. Good luck! I suggest maybe asking Valenti as he work(s/ed) for Warmoth and could surely be of assistance. I'm sure you could have him assemble a Warmoth for you with a good B
  9. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    I think Nino works at Sadowsky (lucky-ass) and builds Warmoth parts basses on the side. Darn nice ones too...

I'm not so sure it's the "way it's put together" as it is the sum of parts, and quality of the parts. I mean the neck and body come pre-drilled for eachother, just slap 'em together, screw on the bridge and Voila, kick ass bass.

I have this Skyline 55-02 that's awesome, but the 35" is just not my thing. So if you know anyone that want's to buy one.... :D
  10. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    You talkin' to me?
  11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  12. I have a warmoth deluxe fiver- Nino actually helped me put it together after I finished it it, and helped me wire it up (although I later rewired it to vol/vol with a series parallel switch). The bass has a very nice B, as good as a fretless spector with a 35 in scale. For what it's worth I play both basses, the fretted warmoth and the fretless spector with a light touch and low action. Also, the warmoth has D'adarrio Ultra Jazz's in it, which have a pretty defined sound (some call them scooped sounding, I like the nice high's and defined mids and lows).
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes, I work for (insert bass company name I'm not allowed to post due to the NCUP) as shipping manager and I must say, sometimes the GAS is OVERWHEALMING!!!!!!

I also build basses using Warmoth parts (Am I allowed to say Warmoth? :confused: ) under (insert another bass company name I'm not allowed to post due to the NCUP) and for the most part, it is a slap together parts bass, but not for all parts. For instance, they drill bridge holes into the body for only a few bridges. I use a have used Gotoh Quick release bridges and currently use Hipshot B Style bridges and Warmoth doesn’t drill for these bridges. Also on 99% of my basses, I use a preamp with a rear control cavity so I have "lotsa" room for the battery & pre, etc. If I have to make a vintage styled bass with a p/g and control plate, Warmoth doesn’t offer a top route with a rear route.

There have also been a 2 occasions on Jazz basses that the neck heel was too wide for the neck pocket. Also, when I built the blue Gecko bass, the Key holes on the headstock that were drilled for the Gotoh GB7's were too small to fit the GB7's. Also, not recently, I had the Schaller BML holes on t Fender styled headstocks that were too big for the Schaller BML bushing on the face of the headstock.

All these things can be remedied if you're handy and you'll end up with a killer bass.

Email sent about the 55-02. :)

14. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    So, to put it another way, Nino works for Sadowsky and I work for (insert bass company name I'm not allowed to post due to the NCUP).

Right? ;)
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    So basically Brian (and Nino) have the problem of:

"I can't mention the company I work for in my post"

Brian Goode
    a.k.a. Señor Gecko
    Warmoth Guitar Products

...I think the NCUP still has a few bugs in it. :rollno:
  16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    From the pictures on your website, your wiring is very nice. I'll be in touch in a couple months about building a bass. Just bought one and need to wait the appropriate amount of time to avoid divorce. ;)
  17. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    After I posted I went to the link and thoroughly read this new policy (I hadn't seen it before), which does prohibit company names or links in sigs. You'll see I removed them shortly after. Thing is now I look like a shill because I'm not disclosing my commercial affiliation...

I'll be emailing the TB admins to get my "Registered User" title changed to reflect this affiliation. Till then I'd better lay low! :bag:
  18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I believe you *can* mention your company name as long as someone else started the thread and is looking for help/opinions.