Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth 5 strings are the Shizznit! (check it out, Nino!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, May 1, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just gigged for the first time last night with my new Warmoth P bass 5 stringer. Thoroughly pleased! I've not ever played anything that looked, felt, played and souded as good as this beast. No pics yet...but coming soon.

Body Oiled alder (actually really nice figure to it)
    Neck Maple/Maple
    Pickup EMG HZ in MM position (has exposed pole pieces as opposed to the dual rails most EMGs have)
    Electronics Passive baby!...but I run it through a Tech 21 Bass Compactor which has a 9db High and Low boost.

B String Floppiness? Absolutely not. Sounds really big but with plenty of clarity...which really surprised me.

1st impressions? Sounds (to me) just like a Stingray! I was expecting a similar sound but this nails it! I cut through my drummer and guitarist like a knife. Totally nailed the distinctive Stingray growl.

The biggest piece of the puzzle is now complete...thank god! Only thing left now is deciding between the Aguilar or Sadowsky outboard preamp. Any suggestions?

I'll post pics in a couple of days.

All in all this cost me $565.00 for a bass better (IMO) than any MIA Fender. (I love Fenders but they don't compare with Warmoth quality.)

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Ah man, I thought you were gonna have pictures!!!! Sounds like a really nice bass!!! Warmoth really does make good products!!!!!
    Isn't that the truth!!!!! :)

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    pics...as soon as my digital camera gets here I'm gonna post them. I've been following your threads about Warmoths since Nov02 when I decided to start saving and purchasing the parts. Your threads were the deciding factor in my pursuing a Warmoth...and I'm SOOO glad I did. Why isn't the entire bass community not using Warmoth?!?!!? :D
    -Bazz-

4. Warmoth makes great stuff, and I'm glad your bass turned out well! I've got a pretty killer Warmoth Jazz myself. :) However, asking "Why isn't the entire bass community using [insert your favorite product here]?" is not really the kind of question you can answer seriously...

Mike

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Are they hard to put together/assemble?
    do they come with instructions?

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    no instructions. I didn't do the electronics...I had my tech install the passive electronics & pickup. I could've done that but I wanted to make sure it was done right so I had him do it.
    As far as assembly goes...it's pretty self explanatory and Warmoth drills most of the holes for you. They don't drill the neck holes (in the neck...the holes in the body joint are drilled) so if you're uncomfortable doing that...have a luthier do it. They don't drill strap button holes but that's very easy to do your self. Once all holes are drilled it's just a matter of putting it together, tightening all the screws and doing your set up.
    There's also the question of finishing. I chose an oil finish that my tech applied because it was the easiest and cheapest way out. You can do this yourself but once again...I was uneasy about it so I had my tech do it.
    Basically I just assembled the finished product and it took my all of about 4 hrs...including neck/string/intonation/action set up.
    You can get lucky on Ebay and get many parts there for cheap. I got my Warmoth neck on ebay plus my Schaller bridge...both were very inexpensive.
    I highly recommend going this route especially if you watch Ebay for a few months. You could put together a great bass for under $600.00 depending on what kind of deals you find.
    Go to warmoth's site www.warmoth.com and check it out.
    -Bazz-

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I was looking to maybe get a warmoth bass and put it together. But i have no idea how to set up a bass or wire the electronics. I'll check ebay, thanks for the info.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    just get a local luthier to do install the wiring harness and pickups...then you put it together...then take it back to have the set up done. Couldn't be more than $100.00 for that...or you could have the luthier do all of it (assembly as well) probably wouldn't be much more than $130.00 plus what you pay for parts. Good luck.
    -Bazz-

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    very rough version of the songs Trying To Forget and Everything Has Changed can be downloaded here: www.soakingwetmusic.com/demoswww.soakingwetmusic.com/demos

Nino,
    I don't have pics yet cause I'm a lazy arse but check out the soundbites above (if you can get to em). Same bass talked about in this thread recorded totally passive (but I also used a Tech21 Bass Compactor). Sounds very passive but it's the tone I've been looking for.
    -Bazz-

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I just receive the parts for my Warmoth project. I almost forgot about them, I ordered them in early April! Well, that's not their fault, we had to wait on the neck to be finished. I'll probably finish and sell, but we'll see (taking a loss of course, but it'll be a fun project)

So, my question has to do with drilling the holes (neck, pickguard, etc). Should I be using a drill press (which I don't have, I'd have to buy one) or is a hand drill sufficient??

thanks for the advice in advance.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    handrill for pickguard holes and strap button holes. drill press for neck joint.

12. bass4prayz

bass4prayz

Apr 14, 2003
    aloha from Maui, bazz!
    does your recently assembled bass contain that warmoth neck that you bought from me? hope it is! great news!!

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I don't own a drill press...and I put together a Warmoth fretless that is my main gigging bass now (see link in the sig below). I also put a Telecaster together for our guitarist and that worked out great as well. No gaps on either of them.

You can do it with a hand drill, just take it slow and work carefully.

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Aloha, bass4prayz, yes my warmoth's neck is the neck I bought from you on eBay! It plays/sounds great. It's an ongoing project. Although it's all completely put together...I'm replacing the EMG with a Bart M4 soapbar this weekend then in about 1 month I'm going to route and install a Bart 5 string P bass (reversed) pickup in the neck position. Check out the soundbite links previously posted in this thread if you want to hear it. Totally passive (and you can tell) but that's the tone I wanted.
    Thanks again for the sweet neck!!!
    -Bazz-