1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NineSpine, Aug 16, 2007.

1. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    Ive been considering getting an entirely Warmoth bass. Can anyone give me any opinions? Their prices seem very reasonable. Is it because they are crap?

2. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    They are far from crap. I have a Warmoth fretless neck on a Jazz bass and it's great. Maybe a bit "thick", but the quality is great.

3. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I don't see how you could find a better place for necks and bodies.

4. just go to their website, and look at the galleries, you wont be dissapointed, again, as with a good chunk of products, you get what you pay for

5. im in the middle of a build (actually like 1/3) but their parts are A+....total build is gonna be double what i expected but it will be worth it. Oh, and be prepared to keep it for the rest of your life....terrible resale value unless you parts it out.

6. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    Im looking into purchasing all the parts and assembling it myself. How hard is this? Ive never done it before.

7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    They aren't crap and they aren't cheap. I put together a real nice Jazz bass. I mean very nice. Birds eye maple neck with binding and mother of pearloid block inlays, rosewood board, curly maple top on a swamp ash body with sunburst finish. Duncan antiquities and a Aguilar OP3. Parts alone were $1200.00

It's as good or probably better than MIA fender parts getting close to custom shop parts. Picking the right combination of wood, careful assembly and good set up and fret dressing is key to making a great bass from parts. Warmoth is good stuff!

You can do this yourself, you need some tools and you need to be able to read an electronic schematic. You might need some help with the final leveling and dressing of the frets. Mine were almost perfect and needed almost nothing as supplied from the factory.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Neither cheap, nor crap. High quality parts that I have used and will use again in the future.

9. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC

10. neither have I....and I have to route for a tremolo myself:meh:.....if youre moderate with screwing in things and soldering, and know how to set up a bass properly as said above.....youll be fine

11. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    I have purchased 10 bass bodies, 2 guitar bodies and 8 necks from warmoth over the years. Never has anything they sent me been anything other that top notch. Note.....they are very good at putting the frets on.......however, a fret dressing is mandatory for a professional condition neck. Like for a sprayed maple neck, you will need to clean the finish off of the frets and give it a nice leveling. Good stuff though. good stuff.

12. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    its good stuff. i built a jazz that i really really like.

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I noticed on the Deluxe 5 necks that the maple fingerboards were always matched with the necks. For some reason I was thinking a bubinga or wenge neck would look sweet with a maple fingerboard. Any reason this isn't an option? I know it would have to be finished and I suppose the back could be sanded down after, but I am curious about that.

14. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    IMHO, Warmoth quality is excellent. Several years ago I ordered a custom J bass body and they met the specs I requested exactly, with excellent materials and workmanship.

15. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I play a Warmoth jazz every weekend! ;)

16. are you able to specify what size and material frets you want on a neck?

all the necks I've seen in their web site have Jumbo frets and I really, really prefer small frets...

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Another question...are Warmoth necks pre-dressed? I once bought a neck from Stew-Mac and the frets weren't dressed, and my repairman at the time told me most parts suppliers like Warmoth don't dress the frets.

18. I have nothing but good things about them.I've already thought of the concept of my bass with parts coming from there.

19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Have Nino make you a bass. His work is excellent.

20. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Short answer, yes. A birdseye maple necked Warmoth Jazz is my main bass.