Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth, Anybody can second this opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Mar 26, 2003.

1. I read Harmony Central daily and I ran across this article regarding Warmoth bass. I know USA Custom Guitars also make good guitars/basses, for I have personally dealt with them.

Do you think this guys comment affects the way the customer buys their bass from Warmoth?

I would like to hear it from people who have worked for Warmoth or bought their basses from Warmoth. Good or bad, we want to hear them!

Warmoth Jazz Bass

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Warmoth/Jazz-Bass-5-String-01.html

Price Paid: N/A
    Purchased from: N/A

Features: N/A
    Late 90's era Warmoth J basses.
    4 string,flame maple neck, flame maple laminate over alder. Passive Bassline p/u's, clear coat body and neck.
    8 string J bassmaple rosewood neck, swamp ash body,gloss black, passive bassline p/u's.
    4 string fretless.-still building

Sound: 8
    all sound good though the alder body seem's to have more warmth and fullness to it's tone, with eather 4 string or 8 string neck.

Action, Fit, & Finish: 6
    Your action and playability is only as good as your tech's abilities in set up. Mine play very well, though the 8 string obviously require's more presure to fret a note.
    Initially the finish was flawless, but thru the few years I have owned them, I can see the finish shrinking into the grain of both bodies.

Reliability/Durability: 7
    Seems to be solid so far in all respects. Finish is fairly hard and durable also.

Customer Support: 8
    I worked in this dept. The actual staff on the phones will do there best to help you. We would try to make things right if there was a mistake- yours or ours. But too many times Mr"W" would be hovering over us which would pretty much keep our hands tied. Get your order right the first time folks, because once Mr "W" has your money, he doesn't like to give it back. Be prepared to present a good case should you make a mistake.

Overall Rating: 3
    ATTN: To all interested in building a bass, or guitar from a "Custom Shop".
    Yes, Warmoth makes a good bass. I worked there for a few years. I own a few myself. I will not say anything about bad about the guitars themselves, but you all should know a few things about the view's of the establishment. I worked the phones taking orders from all of you for the entire time I worked there. On numerous occasions I had to be the middleman between the customer and the owner of the company when taking custom orders, getting permission to do something out of the ordinary etc. This person does not think highly of his customer’s people. Sure he's a businessman, and I understand everyone is in business to make money. That's the game we all play. Please read on if you care to learn a bit about what you are dealing with. (I will use the word "HE", to try and avoid any liability in case of unintentional slander- and this person we are discussing would pursue it just for the enjoyment.) If you could have heard some of the things "he" would say about his customer's and even his employee's. I quote directly as I heard it straight from his mouth. An excerpt from a conversation I had with him, " those guy's that buy my guitars are a bunch of peasant’s" he said laughingly. A nanosecond after he said that, I saw the look on his face turn from an arrogant sneer to an "oop's" look, because while methodically blurting out his last sentence, he forgot who he was talking to. At that time I also realized whom he was referring to... Did I feel he just insulted me? For split second maybe - along with all of my other co-workers, and guitar enthusiasts/customers. But then it occurred to me what kind of man was standing before me. A man that has such contempt for the very people that make it possible for him to make triple payments every month on his home. Give him the ability to feed his family etc. In that basic respect he is no lesser, no greater than you or I. You see, I am one of you, I play the instrument for the joy of it, for the feeling you get when you hit that magical moment on stage in the middle of a song and you and the band lock into the "groove" and it's better than sex... One of the "Peasants", one of the "Monkeys" as he had referred to all of those that he deemed beneath him in previous conversations. Again, yes Warmoth makes a good product. But if you had a choice would you choose to give your money to a business like this. Well, everyone, you do have a choice. You have "USA Custom Guitars". Ironically, this company is staffed by all ex-Warmoth employees, though I am not one of them. This is not a sales pitch by any means, and I have not been put up to this by any of USA's staff. More than likely they will never even know of my letter to this forum, unless they happen to stumble across this web site and article.

In a nutshell, the story goes like this. One of the now ex Warmoth employee's had the good fortune to start up his own custom guitar shop, and in doing so was able to bring the best of the Warmoth staff with him. Not a difficult choice for those who left, considering what it was like at the "other" place. I know these guys personally. They all have a true love for the instrument, be it guitar or bass. Most of them have experienced that magical moment I have described in the last paragraph. Simply put, all of them just flat out dig guitars and live music. But putting that aside, they are damn good at what they do. And they are the best of what Warmoth had to offer. I.e.: meaning, I know that they do build the best for the best. Though I am not at liberty to mention brand names due to disclosure closes signed by USA. Trust me you'd be impressed. Personally, I have seen the quality craftsmanship first hand, and I will have these guys build my next "true custom shop" instrument -- without question. I'm not going to go into all of the "custom" feature's available from USA, because I am not trying to sell you, just trying to let you know that you now have another custom shop to choose from. You do the homework on the internet- trust me fellow musicians, and enthusiasts, you'll be glad you did... In closing I'd like to add just one more thing. Maybe in Warmoth's eye's we are all just mere "peasants", but as a wise man once said, "The meek shall inherit the earth".
    Sleep well Mr. "W",
    Anonymous

P.S. Normally I would leave my contact info for anyone wishing to discuss this with me. But I don't need the hassle from the above mentioned buisness, should they have any grounds to persue me thru legal channels. If you're curious, just ask around. My story is by no means unique.

Sound: N/A

Action, Fit, & Finish: N/A

Reliability/Durability: N/A

Customer Support: N/A

Overall Rating: N/A

Submitted by Anonymous at 05/22/2002 21:52

2. wow..interesting..I hate businessmen like that. Off wit ye head!

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i sure can't. my experience with warmoth has been great.

as far as USA custom goes, if you want replacement parts, or something real close to a stock fender, then they're an option. but if you're thinking about a wenge neck with ebony board on a chambered ash body with a bubinga top....then there isn't really a choice. warmoth can do all the really neat 'custom' stuff, and i'm not sure if USA custom can.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: I am not big on supporting buisnesses with known corrupt management. This probably won't come back to bite the "he" in teh butt, but I hope it does. Any respectable buisnessman appreciates the income and stability his customers provide him. We need more buinesses like Rondo with owners like Kurt that respect the buying public and provide genuine personal service.

5. He's not an idiot, mind you. He's not going to call customers 'peasant's over the phone, that's bad business.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Funny how the guy gives a 6-8 rating in all categories, but then gives a 3 overall rating, due only to a situation that he states has little or no effect on the end user. To me this makes it a little harder to tell whether he/she is being straight, or there are some sour grapes involved. Or perhaps if he's just a huge fan of USA Custom.

That review might be a little easier to take wholeheartedly if it wasn't submitted by "anonymous." If he/she doesn't work there any more, why not give your name, especially if you're this passionate about the subject.

7. boilerbass

boilerbass

Feb 14, 2003
    Hudson, OH
    My experience with warmoth was great. I built a P-bass. The body I got from e-bay but everything else straight from warmoth. They were very helpfull. I ordered a plain maple neck/rosewood fingerboard and when it arrived I was pleasently suprised to see a nice light birdseye in the neck!

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's funny, If it's true, who cares what he calls me, I've been called worse by people that love me. :)

Their product is still top notch & that hasen't changed.

Or we could just have a bitter ex-employee. :)

9. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Ditto

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    We've been aware of this bit of bad PR for quite a while now, and though it bothers us, we don't think it's appropriate to comment directly on somebody else's opinion - they're entitled to it.

Our business over the years has been primarily built by word-of-mouth of our products, and we continue to do quite well and get good feedback from our customers. Our best advertising is a satisfied customer with a quality instrument, and that's what we shoot for.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Exactly. one ANONYMOUS post on an internet site doesn't make their necks or bodies any less badass. As for the customer service - the time i've dealt with them they did everything i would expect them to do.

So you know, even if the owner calls me a monkey...i'll never know. The thing i'll know is how nice the neck i have is - and until that changes i don't see what the big deal is.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

No offense but Ive heard some negative things said about some of the higher ups at Warmoth and about people getting the shaft. On the flip side I've heard alot of good things to. Seen alot of good products come from there.

But I know USA Custom will buld anything. They dont have as many options listed on there site. Contrary they actually have alot of neck options listed(profiles etc).

They also have responded to 3 of my email within 30 minutes of me sending it!!!

Just an opinion, much of which was heard second hand.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It would be very unfortunate if "Mr. W" speaks that way about customers, but, he's in the business of instrument parts, and he gets that done fantastically. Some people are stupid. I could see if some guy calls up and says he wants a neck with chambers cut in it to get a "hollowbody" sound, I think I would probably say something about him. People might just ask for silly things.

Anyway, my experience with him and Brian Goode is that they respond to e-mails very quickly and have answered all of my questions thoroughly, even though I have yet to buy anything from them. As customers, we pay for the product and service, not for someone's approval. Even if Jared thinks I'm a loser, I still want my meatball sub.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't know about "Mr. W", but I can vouch for Brian!

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    All I can say is Gregg from Warmoth hooked me up and was very cool. Mr. W has personally answered many a dumb @ss email from me that I'm sure made him laugh at me, diss me, call me an idiot...But you know what!? He ansered them promptly and politely. I don't care what they think of their customers...as long as they keep it to themselves. They make the best bass and guitar necks and bodies for the price...HANDS DOWN. That's all I'm concerned with.
    Warmoth....you can make fun of us, laugh at us, insult us...whatever...just don't stop making those guits/basses!
    -Bazz-

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If the crassness of management had any bearing on the quality of the product, I'm sure 99% of all businesses would be bankrupt.

It's the nature of the successful CEO to think that everyone else is a sucker.

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Competition is a good thing. I've never dealt with Warmoth, but was extremely happy with the end product from USACG. If you like what the turtle offers, take your chances. Just remember that there are other equal, if not superior, options.

18. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I am not going to pan Warmoth. However, I discovered from shopping around that buiding your axe does not necessarily save you money, although you may gain a certain level of personal satisfaction from doing that.

I was originally looking to buy a Warmoth, and my budget was about $700.00, which admittedly is not all that much. Hey, I'm married with two kids.

I decided to go with a Lakland Skyline 55-01. It still comes with all the bells and whistles that I wanted, at lower price than Warmoth, and I don't have to build it myself.

I know, it's not made in the States. So what! Frankly, I don't care where my bass is made. As long as it's well made.