warmoth bass and black korina questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Jan 24, 2004.

1. ok, after years of pondering i'm getting quite serious about getting a warmoth bass (with a little encouragement from the great exchange rates at the mo) but i have a few questions for you all.

1) i think i'm gonna go with a black korina body. but i'm unsure what finish to get. any suggestions? should i stay natural of dye it? anyone got some nice korina body pics?

2) anyone here from the uk order warmoth stuff? any probs with customs? please share stories.

3) here's the specs i've planned.
    -Black korina deluxe 5 J body
    -Birdseye maple neck and f'board (warmoth peg head). satin finish
    -seymore duncan MM pickup
    -Aguilar OBP-3 pre amp
    -TK bridge (thru body stringing)
    -Gotoh tuners
    how does this setup sound to you? i'm trying to get a bright, punchy sound with the help of the all maple neck, but with a bit of warmth which will hopefull come courtousy of the korina body.

all opinions and comments welcome

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    "i'm trying to get a bright, punchy sound with the help"
    If you're looking for a bright & punchy tone, this wood might not work well for the whole body. You might want to try a Black Korina Top on Ask w/the all maple neck.

Overall, it seems like you'll end up with a killer bass.
  3. thanks for the reply.

if i were to go with a laminated top, i'd probably go with something like flame or quilt maple. i'm trying to keep the price down. so i'm not going to go with a laminated top.

actually looking at the prices, an ash body with laminated top isn't that much more than a korina body. so maby....

i've still got to get a bit more money together before i order. so more suggestions welcome (and wanted)!

nino, if the sound is anything like the one i'm expecting, which i'm pretty sure it will be. then yeah, it'll be a helluva bass :D

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Look through http://www.jpbasses.com for some great ones.
  5. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Hey wotnwhy,
    Here is a pic of my Warmoth J-Bass with a korina body, and Modulus neck. I took this picture out on my deck and the yard is surrounded by trees, that is why the body has a slight green tint to it. It really is more of a light brown color. I used no stain or filler and finished it with gun stock oil. Korina has a fairly open grain. I am finding over time that korina is a very soft wood. I'm getting a lot of dings and nicks and normally I'm pretty careful with it. A misplaced finger nail hit leaves a mark. It seems to be the opposite hardness as my MIA P-Bass. The sound is nice and warm and it is my main playing bass, I'll start out with my P-Bass for a change of pace and before I know it the J is in my hands!
  6. Lex P.

Mar 19, 2003
    I'll try this picture thing again.
  7. Lex P.

Mar 19, 2003
    Here is a body closeup.
  8. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    Here's my Gecko:
    I wouldn't call it especially bright, though the pau ferro fretboard and deep-voiced Bart pickup probably contribute a bit. There's nothing like swamp ash for brightness and "pop", with open mids. I'm a fan of light woods like this with darker exotic lam-tops, like pau ferro, rosewood, etc. If you're a giant (don't mind a heavy bass), walnut and padouk are nice bright woods for a solid body with a more exotic look than ash. Both are commonly used by Rickenbacker, for a reference. Not as "airy" sounding in the mids, though.
  9. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    Lex P - sidenote: What the heck kind of pickups are those? Nine polepieces???
  10. Lex P.

Mar 19, 2003
    Bill Lawrence J45's made for a 4 or 5 string.
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    First of all I think that you'll like the sound of the Black Korina. I made a Warmoth bass with a Black Kornia body a couple of years ago and it had a nice smooth sound. I would use Polymerized Tung oil to finish it. It's much more durable than std. tung oil, protects the wood fairly well and gives the grain nice depth. I'd pay extra and get a real nice piece of wood. The Black Kornia wood can look very plain (like mine)or really exotic (dark random streaks in the grain). I wouldn't recommend staining it.
  12. Hey, Lex P.! That's a very nice bass! Can I ask you some questions?
    Did you order the neck new from Modulus, or where did you get it from?
    Did it fit the standard Warmoth neck-pocket or was there any custom-work needed?
    How does it sound with a Korina body? Do you think it would be too "harsh" with an ash or alder one?

Oh, and wotnwhy: Sorry for using your thread. It just struck my couriosity.
    I'm still very much in the planning stages of my Warmoth project. Gathering information.
    Well, anyway I wish you lots of luck with your bass. I bet it will be killer!
  13. Lex P.

Mar 19, 2003
    Hi displaced,
    The neck is from a sunburst Modulus VJ that I bought at a steep discount in the last few minutes of Musician Planet's short lived life. The original body was alder and weighed about 11 pounds. It was killing my shoulder. So I decided to go with the korina for its warmth and this particular body is fairly light weight. I have had the modulus neck on my AmStd P-Bass and it fit with some very minor shaving around the edges of the neck pocket. My future plan is to selll the P-Bass neck and buy a Modulus replacement VJ neck. The P-Bass is ash and does sound a little brighter with the graphite neck but the sustain, feel and lack of ever having to adjust more than offsets the loss of woody tone.