Warmoth bass help (Nino-Brown help me?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dox, May 28, 2001.

1. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    OK. Sometime in the future I want to build a bass out of Warmoth parts or any other parts. I want to know what goes into pickign out the parts for a bass and what the process of assembling it is like. Like what do you do for the electronics. I am hoping Nino-Brown can help me on how he did all that since he has made a few. Also I want to make thsi bass specifically for punk. I would like to knwo what componates will help make it a really good punk bass. I know I am going ot have a Precision pick up. I want about 20 frets so it will be about a 34" scale. I will also be playing with a pick close to the bridge. Ho wmuch money am I looking at. Also are there other places I shoud look at for certain parts. I don't plan on making this bass for a while but I want to start researching it now. Any help will be appreciated. I was also wondering if I could get personilized "logos" on the headstock like under the Warmoth logo. Has does the finish process go and colouring teh bass. Thank you for any responces. I may go into more detail later but I am tired since it is two in the morning and I am heavily medicated.... :)
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Are you looking for fancy woods for the body? Are you going to use only 1 P p/u? Do you want solid color or trans color?

It seems like you want to build a Fender P-Clone. I personally feel that Warmoth basses are better than USA Fenders.
  3. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    I really ain't looking for an everyly fancy wood for it. I would like the a wood that brings out more punk attributes like some highs and a nice punchy feel. For the neck I am pretty certain on maple with rosewood fingerboard. This is all tentative to change though as I find better woods that will become more appriate. I am not sure if I want more then one P pick up. I have never heard what more then one P pick up sounds like. I am almost certain I don't want a P/J combination. I really don't want to just make a Fender P clone.. I want to try and get some own personal flare into my bass that is unique in my own way. I am gonna look more into the Thrift Shop for a unique body. What kind of woods would you suggest? Should I keep the maple/rosewood neck? The colour I ain't exactly sure yet. I was thinking a solid red but I was looking at the examples and didn't particulary like em. The trans red seemed okay but then you have to get a nice wood for it to look good. Do they have any differant reds I might have missed. I know Fender has a midnight wine type red I liked on a Fender Jazz. Do they have that? What is the process like adding on the colour or does Warmoth do that for you. And what about the internal electronics? What is that like asembling and again does Warmoth have that done for you? I havn't looked over the entire site yet as I scan it on occasion. Cause I don't actually plan on building this bass for quite sometime now. So I am gonna start research on it now and I am gonna purchase Melvyn Hiscock's "Building Your Own Electric Guitar" and read that. Okay this just came to me. I know this bass will NOT be a fretless. That is the only thing I am certain on. Will Warmoth make a custom design headstock? Or can they put another decal on the headstock under the Warmoth one? Well my friend called and now she is distracting me. So if they is any other information you want to know let me now.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Warmoth does not assemble anything--they just sell parts. You bolt the body and neck together, install the pickups and hardware, etc. It's not all that hard if you have some basic tools and a soldering iron. The toughest part is probably installing and cutting the nut, but you can get a guitar shop to do that for $20-$30.

For the body and neck, Warmoth will finish or paint them for you if you want, for an extra charge. The website shows the colors they have available. You can also finish it yourself if you're reasonably patient and handy with a spray can, though I wouldn't try it with a tinted finish or a sunburst.

As for woods, if you're painting it a solid color, there's not too much point in getting anything besides alder or maple, both of which are fairly easy to finish.

5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Nino: we shall build a bass together!!!

6. Building my Warmoth was easy and fun and I couldn't be happier with the results. I have a Fender '62 Reissue P-Bass pickup in the mid and a Rio Grande '51 P-Bass in bridge (single coil). I had them rout a guitar body (Jazzmaster) for bass.

Warmoth will sell you everything you need except the electronics (they have pickups, but only Dunkmore Semen). Their finishes are very very nice. Nicer then even most brands of guitars. I got a Fiesta Red body and clear finish on the neck with a 'vintige tint'. All the Warmoth stuff is great quality. The necks are really nice. Mine is a P-Bass (vintige style, which is all they have). It has 21 frets, and is a baseball bat. I don't mind at all, I think it's great, but if you have smaller hands get the Jazz neck. There is no decal on the headstock when it comes to you, but you can certainly put one on.

Once you get everything in the mail, all you need is a screw gun and soldering iron (I got the nut ground and installed at a shop. I suggest this unless you really know what you are doing). Screwing everything together is easy, but the electronics are a little tricky. Definatly find some good specs and ground everything.

For punk, the pickup selection I chose would work well. The '62 P-Bass gices the low classic P-Bass sound and the '51 sounds more... single coil. It has a lot more treble and sounds really mean distoted. To make your bass look unique, get a unique body. Remember, the guitar bodies are also an option if you talk to them ($100 more).

Good luck!

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/index.html -tells how to do some of the electronics (shielding esp)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/schematics.html -electronic diagrams

http://partssmart.com/ -many Fender parts as well as others.
  7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Dunkmore Semen eh? stop making fun of Seymour Duncans, if anything, I will get them more than other brands
  8. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    I think I will have Warmoth finish it and have the body Torino Red. Also about a unique body, I usually like teh traditional body shape an ddon't liek man uniquer ones. I havn't really looked at there guitar bodies but I will have to do that. Also on teh pick up, by putting the P-pick up closer to teh bridge I will get a meaner more treble sound? Also does you rbass have a switch to select between pick ups like a lot of jazz basses do. If not could I get it like that do you know? The nut I will probably send to Ernie our local guitar tech since I already had him replace my nut in my Epiphone after it mysterious broke while changing strings. Should I get Duncan pick ups or other? I was thinking a more vintage Fender one. Also if I get a jazz neck and a precision body will the neck joint fit? Will Warmoth make the P-body so it will fit a jazz neck? Any suggestions on bodies? I was actually leaning for a jazz body and jazz neck with a single P-pick up, poplar body finished torino red, maple neck with rosewood fretboard with a clear finish. But I might change my mind on the body. I have seriously thought about doin gmy own headstock? How hard would that be to cut out, and do the peg holes? Also how do you make decals and put them on there and if I pu tme own on it will that mena I have to finish my neck my self? Also do I have to install the frets?
  9. Warmoth will do any of the things you asked about bodies. You can have P with Jazz neck, Jazz body with P pickup, or just about anything you can come up with. I put a three way selector switch on mine (M, M+B, B).

Dark Mazda, I'm just joking around. Don't worry about it. Seymore Duncan does make some good pickups. I have nothing against them.