Warmoth bass parts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Oct 29, 2002.

1. So what do you think about them? I've been wanting to get a bass that gets a clean tone that I like, but I've found only two basses that really fit that tone; the Gibson Ripper (I mainly credit the wiring) and the Music Man Stringray V with a few acceptions. I was thinking I could get the body, pickguard, finish, neck, etc... from them, have a local luther rout out and put in two MM pickups, then wire it passive like the Gibson Ripper. It sound like a worth while Idea; unless the parts are low quality?

Thanks for any input
  2. i personally have no experience with warmoth but i'm considering getting a gecko as my next bass.

from what i've read on past threads on this forum warmoth make VERY good quality parts, especially for the price, but as i said, i don't know this from experience. i know there are quite a few people on this forum with warmoth basses, maby they'll be of more help

3. toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    nino has like 2 warmoth's, no?

anyways, I'm hoping my next bass to be a warmoth, sadowsky, or some other super jazz :) most likely warmoth though, I want to get a color scheme similar to that on nino's bass (it's such a beautiful bass), but I wonder, does anyone have comments on Warmoth's finishing department?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have only heard good things about warmoth the only thing that terns people off if the weight of the necks and bodys. After i get my jack casady bass i will do a warmoth either a 54 P or a gecko i am leaning moore towards the gecko. 5 string 24 fret cant go wrong. still thinking on what color, their is just too many. I hope it works out for you.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I had a Warmoth neck on a project bass around 10 years ago. I thought it was good quality

6. Warmoth has very good quality control. You can build a very good bass with their parts.

7. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    warmoth parts are very cool... and very high quality... I am starting to get the jones to build a nice PJ with a body from warmoth...

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    More like 2 1/2 Warmoth basses (one has a Mighty Mite neck on it). You can't go wrong with their parts.
  9. Cool,
    I did the pricing minus the electronics and routing; it came to $649.00 for the finished neck, body and hardware. That's pretty good for a custom order, I've decided on either Kent Armstrong or Bill Lawrence (custom order) for the pickups. The set up for the controls will be volume, volume and master tone, wired so you can switch between series, series reverse, parrallel and bridge only.

Five String:
    Warmoth angled head neck with p-bass spacing, ebony fretboard and finished in solid black.
    51' P-bass V ash body, 73' style pickguard and solid black finish.
    Chrome hardware, diecast tunners and shaller bridge.

How's that sound; any suggestions?
  10. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think my talkbassness is freakin' out, as I SWORE that I already posted a reply here! Anywhoozle, while Warmoth is good, I would highly recommend contacting Tommy Rosamond at USA Custom Guitars. He just mailed my "pieces" to me today for a Fendowsky that I've been planning for about three years now. I should be able to give a more detailed opinion once I get my stuff and have everything asssmbled, but USACG has been amazing so far. They seem to be much more customer oriented and more open to custom work, in addition to being more focused on customer satisfaction.
  11. Hey Nino, I checked out your gear page (damn fine gear, as usual) and where did you get the pickup mute for the vintage j-bass?
  12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Pick-up mute? Are you talking about the Bridge pick-up cover on the Warmoth 70's Styled JAzz bass? That's not a mute. :) I ordered it from AllParts.
  13. T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a neck on order, Jstyle with a laklandesque peghead and they bent over backwards for me. I already have the body, a dinky j, that I got from them also. All the stuff I've got from them is top notch, and I won't hesitate to order again. I have one question for you though, and that is why do you think you have to get a luthier to do your routes for you. Warmoth I'm sure will be more than willing to do the pup routes, it's included with your order. Or have they already told you they will not do a mm/mm? Seems to me they will try to accomodate you, they sure did for me when I told them I didn't want a typical j peghead. Good luck with your order.
  14. Cool, thanks

How does that affect the sound?

(Aaaaaahhhh!!! The Dreaded X!!)
  15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I didn't notice a sound difference.
  16. Weird; wait a sec.... the dreaded red x or the metal thing covering the pup? :rolleyes:
  17. Warmoth will do just about anything you want. A mm/mm pickup configuration should be no problem. For my project I used a Jazzmaster body, put a standard-type humbubking PBass pickup in the standrd position and a '51-type closer to the bridge. They were more than willing to accommodate these custom requests.

The end result was fabulous, by the way. I wouldn't trade the bass for any other. I highly recommend Warmoth--I fully intend to do future projects with them.

Good luck,

Kenan O'Brien
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One of these days, I'm gonna build a P bass from Warmoth parts...but I've got a few things higher up in the GAS pecking order.

But I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it.
  19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There has been a guy from Warmoth that has posted here in the past, hopefully he will see this and reply. I am sure he can tell you about the pup routing. I just can't think of his username right off-hand.
  20. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    I highly recommend USACG ( http://www.usacustomguitars.com ) over Warmoth for customer service, quality of wood and workmanship, and flexibility. Much of what Warmoth charges extra for, USACG will do within their std pricing. However, I understand that USACG pricing is about to go up next week – though how much I don't know.