Warmoth Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Sound of the Police, Feb 4, 2001.

1. I just finished building a Warmoth bass and it couldn't look or sound better! It's a 4 string with a Jazzmaster guitar body and P-Bass neck finfished in Fiesta Red. It has a Fender '62 reissue P-Bass pickup in the middle position and a Rio Grande copy of a 1951 P-Bass pickup (single coil) in the bridge. It's the best sounding and looking bass I own. I finished it 3 days ago and I've already played a gig with it and it got many compliments. If I get pictures I'll post them

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Kenan.I love your show!!! Give my regards to Max Weinberg and Mike Merritt! :D

Will C.:cool:
  3. Jazzmaster guitar body? Cool idea, I was wondering about something like that myself. I definitely want to see how that looks. :)
  4. SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I had a Warmoth Jazzmaster geetar with a 24-fret ebony fingerboard that I sold to my nephew. The lad won't sell it back to me! Maybe the nicest playing axe I've ever owned. So I bet that body would work great as a bass body. Yes, let's see some pix...-SLH

Sep 10, 2000
    do you always have to build the basses yourself or can you have them assemble it?
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have had an idea similar to yours, but with different in color and pick ups. i 'd like to have a bass built on a jmaster body finished in sunburst and with a complicated pickup configuration; a lipstick pickup on neck, p-style pick up in the middle and a hot maybe preamplified jazz pick up at the bridge. i'm still thinking about it, but i'm not convinced with the pu config. i want something weird, really strange and totally mindblowing. suggestions wanted!
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    OK Barroso, how's this for weird and strange:

Bartolini Quad in bridge position
    Bartolini MM replacement in the middle
    P-Bass in the neck position
    2 U-Retro preamps, one for the Quad, one for the other 2 pups
    Each U-Retro with it's own output jack
    Oh...and make sure you have enough change for the batteries... ;)

Sep 10, 2000
    i am speechless
  9. Retsampals, I'm pretty sure that they won't put it together for you. It's a lot of fun and not too hard to do it yourself though. All it is is a lot of drilling, screwing, and a little soldering.

Borroso, cheers to your wierd bass ideas. Good luck with that. The only time I ever played bass lipsticks was on a wierd Vox canoe paddle thing at Fatdawg's guitar place and the pickups seemed to really suck. It was probably just those ones, it was a funky bass, but watch out for that. I like them on guitars, but they;re a litle thin for bass. Go with waht you like though.

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police

Sep 10, 2000
    hey can you post a link for fatdawg's website? i believe i lost it...
    Sound of Police: thanks for answering my question. yeah i'm sure it'll be a lotta fun, maybe i'll do it but i'm a whole semester away from a new bass so i'll just dream for now!

about the lipsticks..
    i have them in a danelectro longhorn (aka flaming marshmallow) and the sound is WAY to bright for me
    but that's just me
  11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just finished finishing/assembling my first FrankenWarmoth bass:

Birdseye maple Jazz neck w/Schaller Fender vintage style black tuners. Precision body w/DiMarzio UltraJazz humbuckers, Bartolini preamp 2 band EQ w/stacked tone controls, Gotoh bridge. I plan to experiment by adding a set of GraphTech piezo saddles and a preamp w/pan pot. Still have to finish the setup and refine the nut cut, but it sounds/feels quite good so far.

Looks pretty good in this photo and from a respectful distance; I'll withhold the faux pas and pretend I was exceptionally competent in accomplishing all the tasks required to build a bass, even from pre-made parts. Exercises such as this will cause you to respect the craft of luthiery. ;-)

Sep 10, 2000
  13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i'm thinking of building one myself...except i'll probably start from a body blank and neck blank to get the shape i've always wanted.

body: a cross between a fender jazz and a fodera emperor - chambered!!!

with piezo bridge and J pickups...

14. I calculatedthe cost of making a Jaco bass from steward madonald ad warmoth parts, would cost a shade less then $600, might do it someday
  15. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    That looks sweet Mr. G, but what are them li'l silvery things on the board? :p
  16. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    What can I say? I've come over to the dark side.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If I didn't have all left hand thumbs I'd order me one. Problem is soldering the electionics in, getting the nut filed, and the whole fret thing. Other than that, I'm about THIS close to getting one. (But, a Pedulla is winning). Super Custom bass for less than 1500? I'm there. Awsome colors, great hardware, and good pups? Plus all that good stuff, I'd be there in a second if I could play one to figure out the feel (and that Pesky Pedulla somehow left my head)
  18. Brendan,
    You should definatly think about it some more. It's really not that hard. The electronics are a little tricky, but you don't have to touch the frets and I had the nut done at a repair shop for $30. Other that that it's just drilling and screwing, unless you plan to do some really custom stuff. Since I had a guitar body made as a bass I had to rout the control cavity and cut out the pickup shape on the pickguard.

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police