Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth basses, worth the try??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danny3k, Jun 4, 2002.

1. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I am considering making a Warmoth Bass, I want to know if the P/MM Configuration can make sense, and what type of electronics am I going to need, I want Volume, Pan, Trebel, Bass and Mid, all in different buttons.

Also I want to know where can I find this type of inlays [​IMG] here it says that he installed lacewood inlays on the bass.

Please somebody answer!!!

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    a P/mm style bass isn't unheard of. Warmoth can give you good stuff at a good price. IMHO its worth the shot at making yourself a great bass

3. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    That's why I want that configuration, it's rare, but I want to know if that may sound good?

Has anyone tried this?

If not I'll just go instead with the J/MM pursuing the lakland type of sound.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1) The P/MM setup isn't really done often, because they overlap each other as far as optimum placement (sweetspot) goes. So you'll have some "off" sounding pups if you squeezed them both in, but it's not out of the question.

2)A lot of suppliers make 3 band EQs...Bartolini among them is considered the industry standard

3)I'm gonna take an educated guess on those "inlays" the guy had a Lacewood cap put on, and then sanded them down to the core wood (look at the "step" the wood takes above the bridge) And then on the rear, something simmilar. Either that, or he routed shallow channels for those pin striped on the rear. I wouldn't imagine it'd be hard, if you knew what you were doing. This guy did, apparently.

And YES Warmoths are worth it.

5. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Thanx man.

mmm now I know why they don't make P/MM Configurations, thanx a lot man.

Soon I'll update you guys with my bass pics.

Thanx a lot.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hell yeah man, go for it!

I myself am lookin at maybe makin' a souped up 4 string from them. Nice guys too; I e-mailed them, and got a response in less than a day! I wouldn't hesitate. Ask Jeff Rader, or Nino Brown, they have them, and are pretty darned happy about it...

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have a Mitey Mite P-bass I bought used. I came w/a Dimarzio split P pickup and I added a Bartolini Musicman pickup w/3 band eq. It can pull off MM and P bass tones like a champ! With the front soloed, its a P bass...back, its a Stingray...both, its a Sabre. Its a beautiful thing. And Warmoth products are fantastic! I have a Warmoth J-bass w/alder body(burl maple top) and wenge neck w/ebony fingerboard. Go for it!

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Word to the wise:

Check eBay and other retail outlets for basses made or upgraded with Warmoth parts. Sometimes you can find them already assembled used for less than you'd pay on a single part new.

9. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I am a little rookie, could you please give me addresses from where can I find used parts or basses?

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, seeing that you're in Puerto Rico, it might be a tad harder to find than in the continent. Still, I assume you have pawn shops over there. Also, check repair shops. they might have extra parts lying around that they might be willing to sell.

11. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    the problem here in Puerto Rico that the shops the prices are way too elevated... Don't know why...

12. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    We have just added P+MM to our standard 4-string pickup routing options, and we can offer it at no charge on bodies. And yes, we do have to move the MM down about 3/4" closer to the bridge to keep the wood between them from exploding when we rout them! This will make your bridge picup a bit more trebly, but since you've got a P in the neck position, you've still got plenty of beef available.

- Brian Goode
    Warmoth Guitar Products

13. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    do you have that option in 5 string models??

I want to make a deluxe 5 with that configuration, but I'm not sure how this will sound. Any advice would be greatly recieved.

14. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    This would be a non-standard option on the Deluxe 5 - we don't have programming that automatically moves the MM down when you have a P in the neck. As a result, you'd incur a $35 custom routing charge, but we could do it!

15. Try out an American Fender Precision Deluxe... they have the P/MM, and it works well, IMO. It also has a three band EQ on it, along with volume and pan controls.

Maybe you should just get that?

They're great basses.

16. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    The American Deluxe Precisions actually have a double-"J" bridge pickup rout that's the same size as the Rio Grande Powerbucker pickup. We have this rout available in a 4-string, but not for 5-string.

Also the P pickup rout lon the AM DX P5 looks asymmetrical, with the "ADG" side of the pickup being longer. To the best of my knowledge the Bartolini and EMG 5-string P pickups are the same size as 4-string P's, which is how we rout for them.

17. Ok I am really interested in the P/MM in a 5 string. I seen it would cost extra but that is ok I am curious as to whee to look for pickups for such a bass... Mainly a 5 string P bass pickup. Ideally I could find a P and a MM together so I dont have to worry about having a good sound together.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, if I find a Deluxe 5 that I like in the thrift shop, it will cost an extra $35 for this routing, right?

19. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Yes, assuming that it doesn't already have pickup routs - this kind of routing would have to be done from scratch, so you couldn't get it on a body that already had a MM bridge pickup rout.

As to where to get pickups that would work in this configuration, I think Bartolini's the best answer. You could get passive P and MM pickups and then wire them both to an active preamp. Duncan/Basslines (the brand we carry) doesn't make a P pickup for 5 string, and while EMG does, I don't know of anybody that makes an internally active MM pickup, so you'd have a hard time blending the two.

J+MM gives you a lot more choices for pickup selection, but then again it seems like everybody's got that setup these days..

20. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Good to have you around. :)

Can you, for the extra charge, rout for the MM at normal position and move the P back instead? I'm thinking more on a 4 than a 5. In the same direction, can you rout for the pups wherever along the body? say, a P right at the neck?