Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WARMOTH BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crown_of_thorns, Jun 5, 2002.

1. I am interested in buying a warmoth bass with a jazz body and p-bass pickups, will they do this? if they do how much do you think it will cost? please just dont tell me to go get a hoppus bass becuz that isnt what i want. thanx

2. 1) Yes, they will make a Jazz body with a P-bass pickup. They'll even make a pickguard for it. :)

2) It would probably be a good idea to look at the Warmoth web page (http://www.warmoth.com) to get an idea of options and prices.

Mike

3. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    It doesn't cost you any more. You get to pick any pup configuration you wish( MM/J, P/J, P, JJ). Just go to the sight and it will tell you everything. You might even find one in the thrift shop section.

4. thanx for the help i will go there now.

5. they didnt have what i was looking for in the trhift shop..will they put together a whole bass for me neck and body and everything..if so where do i fill it out and how do i get like a custom pickguard to fit on a jazz body with p-bass pickups???

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Did you see this?

[​IMG]

Alder, $149.

7. They sell parts, mostly. Half the point of going with Warmoth is putting the bass together yourself, and the other half is getting a Fender-style bass with options that aren't available from a store.

Warmoth will probably sell you just about everything, but some fairly standard parts, such as hardware, may be cheaper from other sources like Stewart McDonald (www.stewmac.com). Warmoth will make you a Jazz pickguard with a P-bass pickup routing to fit your body though--that woudl probably be best, since there isn't quite a "standard" location for the pickup in that arrangement, so they'd know best hwo to make the pickguard to fit.

Good luck!
    Mike

8. i swear i must be blind, thanx man

9. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    beleive me, they will do just about anything, you should call them, and ask.

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Everything except selling a neck for the Gecko body minus the Gecko inlay.;)

11. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
  12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Speaking of the Gecko neck...
    They made the neck in a 4 version! It's not a gecko neck yet, just a regular neck, but MAN, I've been hoping for one for a long time. w00t!

[​IMG]

13. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Sweet! I have an email from Roger dated 3 weeks ago saying that they would NOT make it without the Gecko inlay. Guess he must have gotten a few more requests for it!

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Either they caved to demand, or maybe they'll forego the lizard if you order face dots???

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

that's not a gecko neck, that's just their standard "warmoth" peghead i think. my roommate has a wenge/ebony strat neck with that exact headstock.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And I said it wasn't a geco neck yet. Perhaps I should have said they made the Warmoth head in a 4 (which I haven't seen. I think they massivley updated the Bass neck section in the past day or so)

17. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Yes, it IS the Gecko. Notice the angled heel. The standard Warmoth necks have a square heel, this one fits the angled heel cavity on the Gecko body.
    My original request was for this very neck, with no inlays (side dots only). As mentioned, they said they wouldn't do it.

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    He was talking about the 4-string neck.

19. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    They have re-done their site in the past few days, but there is still no mention of a this kind of neck being available. I wonder what's up. All of their standard 4 string necks, whether Fender-style headstocks or Warmoth-style headstocks, all come with a squared off-heel. Quote from the neck page:

"Standard 2-1/2" wide vintage Fender heel specs."

On the other hand, a quote from the Gecko Bass page:

"...extended heel length to provide ample
    neckbase in the neck joint area for great sonic coupling and structural integrity."

If you buy this particular neck with a Warmoth 4 string body, it will not fit without additional routing to accept this angled heel, or I guess you could just cut off the heel.

20. JohnL,

Guess I'm still a bit confused about what you mean by "this sort of neck" being available. As yo usaid, the regular Fender-style 4-string necks have been available with the "Warmoth" tilt-back headstock like the one shown in the picture for a long time. Those necks have the regular Fender-style heel.

I can't find where you see that this particular 4-string neck has an angled heel like the Gecko necks. I would guess it looks more like this one from the the Thrift Shop:

[​IMG]

Mike